S&W M&P .22 Compact

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not own one of these pistols,,,
I opted for the Ruger SR-22 instead.

I've fired probably 500 rounds through my buddy's pistol,,,
I must say that it performs very well indeed,,,
It's equal to my Ruger in all things.

The only problem I have with it is the action,,,
I don't like having a pistol that you can't un-cock.

Since it has an internal hammer,,,
Once you chamber a round it's cocked,,,
One must rely completely on the manual safety.

It's really no different than my target style .22 pistols,,,
But then again I don't carry them in holsters.

That's why I prefer pistols with an external hammer,,,
And of those I really like those with de-cockers.

If you are like me and prefer SA/DA pistols with external hammers,,,
This SA internal hammer handgun isn't for you.

But if you don't care about or want those features,,,
This is a gem of a shooter and well worth the price of purchase.

Just my thoughts,,,

Aarond

Hey D. Thinking about adding a 22 handgun for shooting at 20 yards. I forgot how hefty the Ruger 22/45 can get when you one hand it. Thinking about the Ruger 22/45 lite or Ruger SR 22 (love external hammer and the way these look) or maybe the SW compact.
What's the pros on the SR for weight and shooting free hand at 20 yards? What do you think about the others I listed?
This Question is out to everyone to reply as well.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey D. Thinking about adding a 22 handgun for shooting at 20 yards. I forgot how hefty the Ruger 22/45 can get when you one hand it. Thinking about the Ruger 22/45 lite or Ruger SR 22 (love external hammer and the way these look) or maybe the SW compact.
What's the pros on the SR for weight and shooting free hand at 20 yards? What do you think about the others I listed?
This Question is out to everyone to reply as well.

We need to get together and you shoot my 22/45 Lite before you decide. Thats all I have out of the ones you listed. Im not a fan of the SR22 but a lot of people love them.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know anymore than research online and talking to people like you with real world experience. I really like the lite, plus you can order on suppressor ready. Not that I would put a suppressor on it but I decided anything I buy will have the ability.
Thanks for the offer. Lets do that after the end of the year.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know anymore than research online and talking to people like you with real world experience. I really like the lite, plus you can order on suppressor ready. Not that I would put a suppressor on it but I decided anything I buy will have the ability.
Thanks for the offer. Lets do that after the end of the year.

Sounds good to me. I would hate to see someone spend over $400 on a gun before they get a chance to try one like it.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never actually seen anyone pick up a Compact and say anything really negative about it. However, you are right. Nothing worse than buying a gun and then finding out you really don't like it. Well, a few things worse, but not many.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update. This gun doesn't like auto match even when clean. Well, kind of. I get fte 2-3 shots per mag. However I get really good groups with it. I also ran about 100 american eagle 40 gr hv. No problems there with function. Not as accurate. So far the best combo of accuracy and function has been the American eagle 38 grain hv.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, now that's the first one I've heard of that has issues with Automatch. It won't eject the empties? Weird... a long time ago, with my first one, I was having some FTE problems too; I was darn well surprised to look down and see that my extractor was broken, but the blowback action was throwing some of the empties out anyway. Called S&W, they sent me a return label, I shipped it back, it was fixed and back in my hands in a bit over a week as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. Empties left stuck in the chamber. Sometimes Empties clear the gun but the slide doesn't make it far enough back to catch the next case rim to feed it. The automatch is several years old....not sure if the fresh stuff is better/improved.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the same crap I was shooting with that guy with his Buckmark the other day at the range; it was just weak old ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom