S&W M&P10 - From Stock to Not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was able to pick up a MA Compliant Smith and Wesson M&P10 for a ridiculously low price and now begins the process of making it the way I want it.

The goal is to have a nicely setup battle rifle that will be used for Run'n'Gun type events as well as hunting deer and hog and will be shot mostly suppressed. My goal is to have a rifle that will reach out to 500-600yds unsuppressed and 400yds or so suppressed.

Here is how it started out:
[Broken External Image]

Here is my inspiration:
www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_IMG_026110.jpg

www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_IMG_026710.jpg

I have a lot of the parts already decided but need help with some and will take suggestions.

Stock: Magpul MOE Fixed Stock. My go to stock, the perfect length of pull for me and I don't have to worry about people adjusting it.
Pistol grip: Magpul MOE+ Grip. My go to grip.
Mags: Magpul Gen 3 20rd Pmags. Already picked up 4.
Trigger: Trigger is surprisingly good for a stock trigger so I will leave it alone for a bit.
Optic and mount: Usually go with a LaRue SPR mount but get a discount on Vortex so probably sticking to that. Not sure on level of magnification, 2.5-10x or 4-16dx.
Rail: Current front runner is the Troy 13.8" TRX Rail for DPMS High profile but this is still undecided. Definitely want a modular and not a quad.
Bipod: Not sure if I want a bipod. If I do, it will be a tall Harris.
Adjustable Gas Block: This is where I really need some help. Anyone have any experience with one? Would love a Noveske Switchblock but not optimized for .308. Needs to be a switchable one or easily adjusted between preset levels.
Barrel: I got the complaint version because the barrel is going to be shortened to 14.5" and threaded. The standard version has a thin barrel profile forward of the gas block and I needed the heavier profile for a standard size AAC 51T suppressor mount. Need some leads on someone that can cut and thread the barrel. I am waiting to hear back from Dustin Gaunder but looking for other options as well.
Flash Hider: AAC 51T Suppressor mount. Flash hider, Brakeout (1/2 FH and 1/2 Brake), or Brake? Brake is probably out since it doesn't have a shoulder and I will need it pinned.

Here is how it sat last night when I swapped some parts off of other AR's to see what it may be.

10376140_10102248283633467_1197942707819695097_n.jpg

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will follow this thread. I use a flash hider in 308. They are cheaper and the brakes can be annoyingly loud without the can on. I have a G2 DPMS that I am sorting out right now. It will run suppressed, but it becomes terribly over gassed with the can on. Even a Slashs 10oz buffer doesn't cure it. I am on vacation right now and stumbled across this: http://micromoa.com

I am trying to research it a bit, but I like the idea of a 3 position customizable regulator. Keep us updated on your progress!

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was able to pick up a MA Compliant Smith and Wesson M&P10 for a ridiculously low price and now begins the process of making it the way I want it.

The goal is to have a nicely setup battle rifle that will be used for Run'n'Gun type events as well as hunting deer and hog and will be shot mostly suppressed. My goal is to have a rifle that will reach out to 500-600yds unsuppressed and 400yds or so suppressed.

Here is how it started out:
[Broken External Image]

Here is my inspiration:
www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_IMG_026110.jpg

www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_IMG_026710.jpg

I have a lot of the parts already decided but need help with some and will take suggestions.

Stock: Magpul MOE Fixed Stock. My go to stock, the perfect length of pull for me and I don't have to worry about people adjusting it.
Pistol grip: Magpul MOE+ Grip. My go to grip.
Mags: Magpul Gen 3 20rd Pmags. Already picked up 4.
Trigger: Trigger is surprisingly good for a stock trigger so I will leave it alone for a bit.
Optic and mount: Usually go with a LaRue SPR mount but get a discount on Vortex so probably sticking to that. Not sure on level of magnification, 2.5-10x or 4-16dx.
Rail: Current front runner is the Troy 13.8" TRX Rail for DPMS High profile but this is still undecided. Definitely want a modular and not a quad.
Bipod: Not sure if I want a bipod. If I do, it will be a tall Harris.
Adjustable Gas Block: This is where I really need some help. Anyone have any experience with one? Would love a Noveske Switchblock but not optimized for .308. Needs to be a switchable one or easily adjusted between preset levels.
Barrel: I got the complaint version because the barrel is going to be shortened to 14.5" and threaded. The standard version has a thin barrel profile forward of the gas block and I needed the heavier profile for a standard size AAC 51T suppressor mount. Need some leads on someone that can cut and thread the barrel. I am waiting to hear back from Dustin Gaunder but looking for other options as well.
Flash Hider: AAC 51T Suppressor mount. Flash hider, Brakeout (1/2 FH and 1/2 Brake), or Brake? Brake is probably out since it doesn't have a shoulder and I will need it pinned.

Here is how it sat last night when I swapped some parts off of other AR's to see what it may be.

10376140_10102248283633467_1197942707819695097_n.jpg

The mp10 upper is a high profile? I like the jp gas blocks.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will follow this thread. I use a flash hider in 308. They are cheaper and the brakes can be annoyingly loud without the can on. I have a G2 DPMS that I am sorting out right now. It will run suppressed, but it becomes terribly over gassed with the can on. Even a Slashs 10oz buffer doesn't cure it. I am on vacation right now and stumbled across this: http://micromoa.com

I am trying to research it a bit, but I like the idea of a 3 position customizable regulator. Keep us updated on your progress!

I had seen the MicroMOA blocks a few weeks ago when I was looking for a solution for my over gassed SBR AR15's. Still on the fence about the solution for those but still leaning towards milling out part of the rails on my DDMk18 and Noveske SWS rails and installing Noveske Switchblocks.

The mp10 upper is a high profile? I like the jp gas blocks.

According to the good folks at Troy and their helpful PDF, mine is. JP, Syrac, and Seekins are all on my list to further research.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took it apart today. Trying to source parts but finding a few things are universally backordered.

i1132.photobucket.com_albums_m575_gabrielmkvigli_OSA_6E50DB32_3a89614d0cab30f4f8b035822b76eff0.jpg

Found a suppressor heat/mirage cover.
i1132.photobucket.com_albums_m575_gabrielmkvigli_OSA_8266C0CD_e99aebc86308c0b1ec2b0f4a6c0f6019.jpg

And an accessory for after the range.
i1132.photobucket.com_albums_m575_gabrielmkvigli_OSA_25CD624C_3607affdd147408f1fdbc0afc1281681.jpg

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, think I may have found my gas block option. Not as easy to switch as a switchblock but positive feedback on adjustment and can be adjusted easily for varying ammo.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So aside from a replacement pistol grip and the, not in stock anywhere I am willing to shop or for a decent price, AAC 51T flash hider, all relevant parts have been ordered to include glass and mount. Off to the classifieds to post a WTB ad....

If I ever get the chance to buy a .308 AR, the M&P10 is my choice, I like what you're doing.

I like it so far but my experience is limited to taking pictures, making 'pew pew' noises, and disassembling it.

I like the after the range accessory. But, if you need a koozie, you're drinking too slow.

Ain't that the truth but the bungee will allow me to attach a retention device and reduce the severity and/or amount of party fouls.