S&W M&P10 - From Stock to Not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found that after I posted last night. I am so used to not paying retail for stuff but free shipping kinda offsets that. Pretty sure the last one I bout was $78-ish plus tax.

BTW, what was the post that BB deleted in the new Dept of Ag/Subgun thread. I am to curious for my own good.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might make sure the rifle runs right in factory trim before doing the mods. I just got an M&P10 and it is under-gassed... it never locks back on empty and has frequent bolt-over malfs. From what I have read, this issue is common for M&Ps. I am probably going to have to end up drilling out the gas port.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might make sure the rifle runs right in factory trim before doing the mods. I just got an M&P10 and it is under-gassed... it never locks back on empty and has frequent bolt-over malfs. From what I have read, this issue is common for M&Ps. I am probably going to have to end up drilling out the gas port.

I am already prepared to do that. Have the measurement of the gas port somewhere and it is on the low side of measurements. Since I am cutting down the barrel, running it suppressed, (both of which generally overgas a gun) and using an adjustable gas block, I figure that I might as well go balls deep right off the bat. It won't take much pull the rail and block and open the port.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you like about the SLR over the Micromoa? I hadn't seen it before.

For some reason I can't shake the thought that the spring that keeps pressure on the notch in the plate may decide to self-evacuate. I like the design/concept but that'll be in the back of my head everytime I go to the range, class, hunt, etc.

The SLR is supposed to have a positive click adjustment which would allow for repeatability when switching from suppressed to unsuppressed or between ammo. Should be able to find a baseline running suppressed and then make note of how many clicks and direction for unsuppressed. Same thing for ammo.

If it sucks, you'll see it in the classifieds soon.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My gas port measurement: .068"

I'll be interested to see what the final product looks like.

Me too!

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree there is some worry about the spring. I just like the idea of the two position suppressed / unsupressed. The metering screw on the SLR worries me from an erosion standpoint. I don't think either option is exactly what I am looking for: 308 Switchblock. I think I am going to give the Govnah a try and then we'll compare notes.

Last edited: