S&W Posts booming financials (and I bet others too)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ready-smith-wesson-posts-insane-earnings-revenues-skyrocket/

The past couple of years have been alright for famed gun manufacturer Smith & Wesson but 2012 has been exceptionally kind.

“Gross profit for the first quarter was $51.3 million, or 37.7% of net sales, compared with gross profit of $26.5 million, or 28.9% of net sales, for the comparable quarter last year [emphasis added],” the company said in its press release.

And it doesn’t end there.

“The company earned 27 cents vs. expectations of 18 cents,” Business Insider’s Joe Weisenthal writes. “Revenue was $136 million vs. estimates of just over $128.7 million.”

The company also expects earnings of 19 to 21 cents in the next quarter, which, as Weisenthal notes, is way above earlier estimates of 13 cents.

But let’s try to visualize this information:
www.theblaze.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_09_Smith_Wesson.png

www.theblaze.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_09_20120906_smithwesrevs.png

Two-year S&W stock quote
And what about the company’s revenues?

Courtesy Zero Hedge
“[W]hen the final bubble does pop (and here we make the wild assumption that no intelligent extraterrestrial life will be found to bail out the central banks in time), at least everyone will be locked and loaded,” Zero Hedge notes.

Here are some key takeaways from the company’s most recent investor presentation [via Zero Hedge]:

Record-level quarterly sales growth from continuing ops of $136.0M, +48.3% Y/Y
Record-level quarterly income from continuing ops of $18.9M, or $0.28 per diluted share
Raised Full Year Fiscal 2013 Financial Guidance
Exceeded high end of upwardly revised sales guidance
Backlog of $392.4M versus $148.8 one year ago
Simply put, and as the above chart clearly demonstrates, demand for the company’s products has grown exponentially over the past two years and it doesn’t look like it will slow down any time soon.

“Smith & Wesson rose $1.07, or 12 percent, to $10.07 on surging gun sales and a raised profit forecast,” the Associated Press reported Friday. “The gun company said it expects earnings for the quarter ending October to climb to as much as twice what analysts had expected.”

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh you just had to do it didn't you? :smash:

I bought S&W about 3 months back. I had been mulling it around in the back of my mind for about a year as something I need to check into. When I finally got around to it, it was at a near 52 week high and was up about 100% in that year. I thought damn, another one that got by me. I said to myself "heck with it I'm gonna throw some milk money at it just to see what happens, we got an election coming up". So I bought a little and immediately set a trailing stop alot tighter than I normally do. It keeps going up and I thought "cool, I'm gonna make something anyway". It rocked along a couple of months and some yahoo published a report a few weeks ago that said it was over bought and had had it's run. I had been thinking along the same lines as the guy who wrote the article, I just didn't know how it was going to go much higher. The price tanked over that week and I stopped out making a small profit. I started to buy back in but held off watching it for a few days, it leveled off and then held for a bit so I was thinking it was time to move on.

Wrong again! Had I went back in I'd have made another 30+ percent. :cry11:

Latest posts

Top Bottom