S&w sd9!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ArmedCivy

Not sure how many of you are aware of this gun, but I ordered mine off of cheaperthandirt.com for $357, shipped for $10, and a $10 transfer to B.A.N.G., thanks again Patrick you rock! So I got this pistol for a total of $377!!! Here are some stats for those that are interested...

Model: SD9
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 16+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 4" / 10.2 cm
Action: Striker Fired Action
Front Sight: Tritium Night Sight
Rear Sight: Steel Fixed 2-Dot
Overall Length: 7.2" / 18.3 cm
Width: 1.29" / 3.3 cm
Weight: 22.7 oz / 643.0 g
Grip: Textured Polymer
Material: Frame/Polymer
Slide/Stainless Steel
Barrel/Stainless Steel
Finish: Black Melonite®

220900_01_lg.jpg
Click on the image to enlarge!

I think it looks suhweet!!! I kinda already put a trigger spring kit in it from Apex Tactical. It brings the pull down to 5.5-6 lbs from about a 9 lb pull. It was pretty heavy with the stock springs I will admit, but it was smooth and crisp! And now it's smooth, crisp, and lighter. To me it feels like a stock Glock trigger as far as weight of pull, but I actually like the feel of it better. I will be going to the range next week to break it in and see how it shoots. Very excited! I'll post some pics and comment on reliability, accuracy, trigger, etc., etc.

I will say this much thus far, I really like the look and feel of the SD9. The grip angle is very natural, it's an 18 degree angle, and points naturally. It feels comfortable in an IWB holster, which it is currently in as I type this. It is approximately the size of a Glock 19 just for a reference point. I also like the factory sights! Front tritium and steel rear 3 dot style, and uses standard M&P sights so if you wanted to replace them with something different, then just order for an M&P. Infact my rear sight is actually stamped "M&P". As previously mentioned the trigger was a little on the heavy side for my taste, but the Apex spring kit really helped. It can be found here https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid57.html for $19.95. It was well worth it to me. Also if you are an M&P owner you really need to check out their FSS kit! I really hope they come out with something like that for the SD's. Alright, I'll post further next week after some testing.

Last edited:
A

ArmedCivy

Good deal......I like the looks of it. SO much better than the SQUARE Sigma's. I'm assuming you will be giving us a range report soon? lol

Yes! As a matter a fact i will be giving a range report after the weekend. I'm a weekend worker so i'm technically smack dab in the middle of my work week right now. I'll do my best to be as detailed as possible.

A

ArmedCivy

I have never seen a sigma in person so i would be a bad judge of that. I have shot glock plenty though, and i mentioned that with the Apex SD spring kit, the trigger pull feels very similar to a stock glock but breaks and resets somewhat differently. It's difficult to explain and I don't claim to be an expert either. I feel a demonstration youtube video coming on here! Hahaha

A

ArmedCivy

ALRIGHT!!!! So I just got back from the range this evening, testing the S&W SD9!!! I think you guys are going to see some surprises here, because I was surprised myself!

First of all, been! It just so happened that one of the guys next to my lane was shooting a S&W Sigma in .40 S&W. So I asked him if I could see what the trigger pull was like on it so I could make an informed comparison between the Sigma and the SD9. He said it had a stock trigger, no modifications, and as previously stated I have installed the Apex SD spring kit in mine. Soooooo, although the stock Sigma trigger was considerably heavier than mine, it did feel similar in break and reset. So if your biggest complaint about the Sigma trigger is simply pull weight, then the SD9 with a quick and easy $20 spring kit is a BIG improvement IMO!

So lets get to some of the good stuff here! These pictures are not in order, but I will start with least impressive and go to, in my opinion, JAW DROPPING/AWE INSPIRING/I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THIS AGAIN, pics!!!!!

First 30 rounds SD9 at 7 yards.jpg This is the very first 30 rounds fired, semi-rapid, at 7 yards, PMC 115 grain FMJ......BONUS POINTS if you can guess what range this is!!!

Last 3 shot group SD9 at 7 yards.jpg Three round group at 7 yards

3rd 3 shot group SD9 at 7 yards.jpg Another 3 round group at 7 yards

3 shot group SD9 at 7 yards.jpg Also at 7 yards, I like that...but wait there's more!

Last edited:
A

ArmedCivy

This is the unbelievable one here ok, i was very surprised!

3 25 yard miracle shots SD9.jpg This was NOT at 7 yards!!! This was a 3 shot string at 25 yards!!!!!!! And no, don't ask me to duplicate this, it'll never happen again!

OK! So the gun is accurate! At least as accurate, or lucky, as I am.

How about reliability?

Well I shot 350 rounds, 300 of which were PMC 115 grain FMJ, and 50 were Black Talon 147 grain hallow points. I had one hangup on my 4th magazine through it. The malfunction was a failure to extract on the first round, and it was the first time I put the full 16+1. The 16th round on the brand new magazine springs was very difficult to get in, I attribute this malfunction to new mag springs. After I cleared the spent round from the chamber, it shucked everything else I thew at it. So until those mag springs are broken in a bit, I'll just be downloading it to 15+1.

I love the sights, love the trigger, love the size of the pistol, love the accuracy, and it's easy to carry as well!

Questions?