Savage caliber change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepherm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been trying to trade a savage I have since it is a 7mm mag and I have seem to have enough of them right now. I havent had much luck with trading it, so I started to do a little research and found out I could change the bolt face very easy. I knew the barrel swap was simple since you do not need a lathe or anything like that but did not know the bolt face was so easy. I looked at midway and noticed the bolt face was only about $20. I know it is still a long action but there are many 308 rem 700s sniper rifles built on long actions and do a good job. So now I am thinking its going back in the safe and thought I might pass the info on.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In fact I have a 110 that I rebarreled in .308...Very easy to do.

Action block / barrel wrench set me back about $100. Totally worth it for having a switch barrel rifle.

I plan on picking up a barrel in .300 Win Mag when time permits...

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_110la.jpg

shepherm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a great looking rifle. I still have three new remington 700 308 varmint take off barrels so one of them would make a great new barrel for this. I can thread and chamber it on the lathe and since I already have it it will only cost me the bolt head which is $20. But I might also make it a heavy 300 win mag or rum and keep the same bolt and it won't cost me a dime. Thanks for the ideas.

shepherm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't think there would be a feeding problem but glad to know it for sure. I know the Army’s M24 sniper rifle is a 308 built on a long action Remington 700. I might also think about the 338 federal since my Remington 700 308 tactical should be here tomorrow (hopefully!!). I have wanted the 338 for deer and hogs for some time and this would give me a great project. I would have to buy a barrel and that’s not that bad I guess.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah...depending on who you order your barrel from, it's not bad.

For my .300 win mag, I'm just gonna use an ER Shaw. They will make one any length / contour for $155 for the Savage action.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I changed a 110 30-06 to a .338-06, and it is an excellent gun. If you have a long action you might consider this cartridge. Technically it is not a wildcat since Weatherby built some guns chambered for it, and you can get ammo (for a price!) at Outdoor America and on the internet. However, you can fire form 30-06 brass easily, which gives you an unlimited source of reasonably priced brass.

These shoot almost as hard as a .338 Win Mag, but kick 'way less. They used to be popular in Alaska because depending on bullet choice you could kill anything from the little Sitka deer to big bears.

Incidentally I have this extra 30-06 Savage barrel that I never plan to use again. Has nice iron sights on it. PM me if you have a need for it and we'll haggle. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom