savage model 10 .308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nastymossberg

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a savage model 10 .308 with a synthetic stock and I'm planning on buying a knoxx comp stock to try and reduce the recoil. I'm not sure whether it's a long bolt action or short bolt action? And if it's a heavy barrel or std barrel? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.:mosh:

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you post up a pic? Is it the tactical (10FP) or one of the other models? Is it a accutrigger or non-accutrigger?

I shot my 10FP at the range the other day and the recoil didnt seem too bad, but I will have to see how that is after I replace the stock this year.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A pic would be best even if is a stock photo. Usually the model 10 is short action and 110 is long action. As for the barrel is it small like a deer rifle or really thick?

Evan

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was originally chambered for .308 then it will be a short action. If someone rebarreled the rifle then all bets are off. Need pics to determine barrel size, compare it to pics on the savage website and look at the specs and that should give you a good idea.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was originally chambered for .308 then it will be a short action. If someone rebarreled the rifle then all bets are off. Need pics to determine barrel size, compare it to pics on the savage website and look at the specs and that should give you a good idea.

Even if they rebarrelled it, its still going to be a short action. Now, if they changed the action out then yes all bets are off. You'll never get a 458 Lott or a 416 Rigby through a short action, I don't care how many times they rebarrel it.

Nastymossberg

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it all stock Barrel is not thick still has front sight on barrel. and it says savage arms on the bolt and it is a .308 model 10 win that's what it says on the barrel I'll have to post pics tomorrow

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if they rebarrelled it, its still going to be a short action. Now, if they changed the action out then yes all bets are off. You'll never get a 458 Lott or a 416 Rigby through a short action, I don't care how many times they rebarrel it.

Yes huh, you just have to pull the bolt, toss it in the back.

I'm not saying not to get the axiom stock but I've heard that they hurt accuracy.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
short action, the 10 tells that , savage long actions have a 3 number model where as the short action ahs a shorter 2 digit model number. if it has front sights its a standard 10 sporter not heavy barrel.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little cheaper way out may be to just get a good recoil pad! those ones that come from the facotry have a lot to be desired of. After I messed up my shoulder I put on my 308 a triple magnum pad for a shotgun and it was a world of difference. You may also look at Bell & Carleson stocks, they are a pretty fair price, most of the recoil is from stock design and a better built stock with different lines is going to recoil differently. Later,

Kirk