savage model 10 .308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a savage model 10 .308 with a synthetic stock and I'm planning on buying a knoxx comp stock to try and reduce the recoil. I'm not sure whether it's a long bolt action or short bolt action? And if it's a heavy barrel or std barrel? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.:mosh:

The only reason I was razzing you about the purse-strap shoulder on the recoil thing is that I asked the same thing (only specifically about muzzle breaks). I've had a surgery on my shoulder, but through re-hab I'm not too recoil sensitive anymore until I get into some of the harder kicking magnum calibers.

The advise I got was to get a Can - I should be here this month - happy money spending man!

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
10 is a short action. Get a muzzle break and a decelerator pad. I tore my rotater cuff 2 years ago and recoil literally kicks my azz. I sold my Sav. 300 Win Mag and got a Pro Hunter 30.06. The pad on it is like and an air bag, still kicks like hell but it it helps....

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the B&C A2 Medalist with the Decelerator pad and I had the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake. I believe my .223 AR has more recoil now. I'm also shooting 168 gr. Nosler Match with 40 grs. of Varget and they are scooting pretty good but the recoil isnt much to speak of. My fiancee is 5 ft tall and weighs just under 100 and she has no trouble shooting it.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something you may try is to look at a muzzle break. I had never used one until my son bought his Savage 16 (2 digit = short action) and it has the twist on/off muzzle break. It takes nearly 60% of the kick out of it. He is 13 and can shoot full power stuff all day long. I like it so much that now I'm looking for one for me.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if they rebarrelled it, its still going to be a short action. Now, if they changed the action out then yes all bets are off. You'll never get a 458 Lott or a 416 Rigby through a short action, I don't care how many times they rebarrel it.

I said that because it is possible to take a long action and put a .308 barrel on it although I wouldn't do that myself.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something you may try is to look at a muzzle break. I had never used one until my son bought his Savage 16 (2 digit = short action) and it has the twist on/off muzzle break. It takes nearly 60% of the kick out of it. He is 13 and can shoot full power stuff all day long. I like it so much that now I'm looking for one for me.

Hearing protection when shooting a muzzle brake is critical. Not just using "ears," but attention to being sure a very high level of protection is in place with every shot. This includes shots made while hunting, and it includes other hunters in the vicinity. CB

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hearing protection when shooting a muzzle brake is critical. Not just using "ears," but attention to being sure a very high level of protection is in place with every shot. This includes shots made while hunting, and it includes other hunters in the vicinity. CB

Thats no kidding there. My muzzle brake produces an awesome blast wave off of it. People always think I'm shooting a .50 BMG because they can FEEL it 3 or 4 lanes down. And if I'm shooting prone, I'll cover the guys next to me in dust, dirt, and leaves from the ground around me from the blast. People :soapbox: at me all the time for it.

Bushman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My savage is in .300WSM with a walnut stock and recoil pad. Recoil is brisk but managable. Try using a sling with your elbow wraped through it like the army marksmenship team does.