Saw this this afternoon....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While going out to check on some cameras, about a mile from the lease.

Any of you been in S. Lincoln county messin around..? Looked like it had been shot in the hind-quarters.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_Image001.jpg

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i went by a place by Paden yesterday that had 6 or 7 yotes hung up by the heels on the fence. I am not sure that I agree with stringing them up like that. I understand taking the yotes, and hve no problem with pulling hides, but not everyone wants to see that and it may leave a sour taste for some folks. As a side note, Dang they were big yotes!!!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i went by a place by Paden yesterday that had 6 or 7 yotes hung up by the heels on the fence. I am not sure that I agree with stringing them up like that. I understand taking the yotes, and hve no problem with pulling hides, but not everyone wants to see that and it may leave a sour taste for some folks. As a side note, Dang they were big yotes!!!!!

Yeah, your probably right in this day and time.
Back in the 60's the gov put bounties on coyotes. a set of ears got $7.
Pretty good change in that day.
It was not uncommon in Osage county to drive down a mile or two of county roads with a coyote hanging from each fence post.

I guess the dogs won. They are still here in even greater numbers.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hadn't seen one hanging on a fence in over 20 years. I thought the practice died out, but I guess not. Personally I'd rather see them thrown in a ditch, but I didn't kill it. This one is hanging up there with a zip tie. To me that means he came prepared to do some fence hanging.

I would have cut this one down but he was bloated with flies and I wasn't about to get any closer.

Down the road and over a couple of sections, my dad said there was another one. So apparently somebody is making the rounds and laying waste to some coyotes.

Then again,..folks in Paden are probably a little more calloused than those in the larger cities, but I know what you're saying. One would almost have to be lost to find Paden..

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it is just the redneck in me, but I kinda like seeing an old coyote hung on a fence, same goes for an old flathead hangin on a fence post. Saw a couple of coyotes just the other day hangin from a post and it made me smile. Too bad the wussification of America keeps people from doing it much anymore.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple cattlemen around me still do it...I'm just outside of Tulsa. It doesn't bother me when a farmer or rancher does it. Yeah it's ugly, but it just seems "Oklahoma-ish". I think they used to do it for a variety of reasons. A rancher would do it to show the neighbor he got a coyote, and hunters with permission to hunt would do it to show the land owner they are successful.

I also like the flatheads on t-posts. Now I think it's way trashy and redneckish and I would never do it...but again it's part of Oklahoma's charm to be driving down a country road in July or August and see rows of giant, shriveled up fish heads staring skyward for eternity. Brings to mind a bunch of fat, shirtless dudes with rebel flag tattoos drunk on cheap beer and frying fish next to a Trans Am with Skynyrd on the 8 track. In other words, it feels like home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom