SBR Decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I like my mid length, I really like my mid length. There is a noticeable difference in feel of a mid length cycling vs a carbine, that being said I want an SBR. If I have my barrel cut and re threaded about 1/2" ahead of my FSB will I run into any cycling issues with so little barrel ahead of the gas port?

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am currently waiting to receive my Rainier Arms Select Match 16" barrel to come back from being cut down 2-5/8". This barrel has the mid-length gas system but I am not sure how much barrel will be forward the gas hole. When I get it back, I can take a measurement then post up a report of how it runs. I am sure this has been done by someone somewhere along the way but if not I will report back.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrels_7_5_14_Barrels_s/32.htm

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assemblies_7_5_14_5_Barrel_Assemblies_s/20.htm

Why not just replace the barrel?

Also I would do the paper work now and get the rest done when you can. Getting the paper work out of the way will allow you to use it when you get it.

Unfortunately, all those options you just linked to are carbine length gas systems and not mid length gas systems. The mid length will be 2" further down the barrel than the carbine.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As much as I like my middy I think that I am going to end up going this route with the 11.5" bbl, I keep finding articles detailing issues with SBR's where the muzzle is cut too close to the gas port and the weapon will not cycle reliably. By the time I leave enough barrel in front of the middy gas port my OAL with the can I am eyeing will be longer than I want. I guess I'll keep the middy as a backup.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my barrel in and did some measuring. The gas port is about 4 inches or so from the end of the barrel. I didn't get a chance to function test but Dustin and I are planning on going to H&H for lunch and a short range session. I will report back with how the upper runs since that is the main question you had but I don't anticipate any issues. And now the obligatory picture:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The upper ran fine both suppressed or unsuppressed. Not sure how close you could get to the gas block and still maintain reliability. I think if you ran into issues though you could always open up the gas port. If you probably do some searching over on AR15.com you can find someone who has a midlength system and really short barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom