Scariest hunt you've had

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Duck hunting alone on the north end of lake eufaula a few years ago with temps about 25degrees. Boating back to ramp in my 15' flatbottom boat with 20-30 mile an hour winds creating 3-4' waves. Of course I have to go to the east and waves start crashing over the side of the boat!! Eventually I have to angle to the south east until I can turn and go straight north into the wind. Nothing like feeling over half my boat airborn and slamming down into the next upcoming wave. A huge sigh of relief when I make it into the windbrake of the north shore tree line and am able to motor up Grays creek with over 10" of freezing water in the bottom of the boat. Something I don't care to duplicate!

Limit of greenheads tho!!

Deano

nativehunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was duck hunting fort cobb. i started putting decoys out in waist deep water. i went to walk out and was couple inches from getting water in my waders. I was stuck, I mean really stuck but I had a stick I used to get my self out.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went on my 2nd or 3rd duck hunt last year and got really stuck on the way out. Had a few buddies help me out, no big deal. On the way out, we could see where I got stuck. There was a giant hole in the lake that god only knows how deep it was, only a few feet from where we were all at trying to get me out.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Duck hunting alone on the north end of lake eufaula a few years ago with temps about 25degrees. Boating back to ramp in my 15' flatbottom boat with 20-30 mile an hour winds creating 3-4' waves. Of course I have to go to the east and waves start crashing over the side of the boat!! Eventually I have to angle to the south east until I can turn and go straight north into the wind. Nothing like feeling over half my boat airborn and slamming down into the next upcoming wave. A huge sigh of relief when I make it into the windbrake of the north shore tree line and am able to motor up Grays creek with over 10" of freezing water in the bottom of the boat. Something I don't care to duplicate!

Limit of greenheads tho!!

Deano

That would be worse than mine. Crazy.

I shot two pigs, one DRT at 160yds, the other hit hard at 200, running. I ran down there as fast as I could, light was fading FAST. Wounded pig did what pigs do, ran down nastiest, thickest tangled trail you ever saw. I followed, got surprised at 275 lb black hog standing facing me at 15 yrds. My custom Mauser with the fancy Leupold scope felt suddenly less powerful...my pistol was in the truck.(what a retard) Luckily, the pig stood there long enough for me to get the rifle on her, and she was down. Backing a pig in a corner .....not a good plan.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Intense maybe, more than scary. My friend shot two hogs as about a dozen of them ran across the wheat. One hog dropped, the other made it into the CRP that was about waist high. It was dusk, wind blowing about 25mph and hard to see or hear. One shot to the skull from my 1911 at about 4' and a heart rate of about 185bpm and mission accomplished! We had walked by him twice I think and not seen him, the last pass through where we'd seen blood, I heard something to my right and there he was making that chomping noise that they do when "annoyed".

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Few years ago the wife and I were hunting during gun season, she was a mile away in her stand when I heard her shoot. Called her cell phone to see if she got one, she told me a HUGE black hog came out of the woods and ran the deer off the feeder so she shot it. I told her to get down and take a picture of it for me, of course she said no way, she would wait for me to get over there when the hunt was over.
When the sun set I drove over to her stand and left the rifles in the truck, walked up to the hog laying on his belly in the deep grass, when she moved around the side of the hog to get a better look with the flashlight the damn thing grunted really loud and jumped up swinging his head towards her, in that instant I unholstered my 1911 and shot him in the back of the head.
Scared the crap out of me, another 2 feet and he would have had her by the leg.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had two. One I was 14 and we where hunting flooded timber near lake nimrod. It was cold and we where breaking ice before we threw deeks out and I can't swim mind you. Anyway I found a beaver run and went completely under my bil drug me up and out. Got me to shore stripped me down to only thermals put my two nephews on me in the sled we would float decoy bags out in and took me to the truck and hauled azz to get me to the ER. Damn I was cold for a month it seemed like. Very scary experience. But the worst I was 16 and my dad took me on a Colorado mule deer hunt in far nw Colorado. Near the Utah border and dad shot a nice buck we where tracking the blood and realized it was going to get dark before we found him decided to shelter in place we where above timberline and found a good spot had supper and turned in no tent though. Overnight the wind picked up and it started snowing. I was convinced we where going to die of exposure cold doesn't describe it. About noon the next day the snow stopped and we went back to find the buck which we did. When we got back to camp we tore down and made to the truck. I asked dad if he was scared the night before and he said no. Many years later that trip came up and he admitted he was sure at least one of us was going to die up there that night and the other shortly after. And maybe never be found. Thanks dad. And he made me swear on the trip home that I wouldn't tell my sisters or mother or step mom about our "experience above timberline" as he called it for years. We learned to always keep a small tarp and a space blanket in our packs after that. We only had sleeping bags. Glad I lived through both. But I refuse to duck hunt to this day. Or until after I learn to swim.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other than stepping on a covey of quail in the middle of the night going to a deer stand, Mine was getting a call from the Local GW 20 years or so ago about shooting some pigs. Seems some farmer had bought hogs in Arkansas that were supposed to be a cross of a Duroc and pure russian boar. Theory was it was supposed to not need high quality feed to get fat. (I think it was a scam)
Anyway, the guy didn't put a floor in the dirt pen, and they quickly dug out. They got onto a neighbors wheat field(one boar and 2 sows) and were tearing it up pretty bad. He called the GW, and I got a call. Three of us went out just at daylight. Looked over the top of a pond dam, and spotted them along with 10 or so tiny piglets. We each picked out one each, and opened up on them. I hit the boar high and above the hind legs as he was running.
The 2 sows were down, so we went into the tall grass looking for the boar. He was still up but his hind legs were useless. Boy was he mad!
I pulled out the .44 mag at about 25 yards and sent one meant for his head, but he turned it slightly, and it went in his front shoulder(later recovered in a hind quarter) but that really made him mad, and here he came right at me. Its amazing how quickly he could cover ground with just his front legs, but finally got a shot off at about 5 yds and he went down.
We guesstimated him at near 200 lbs with 2" cutters.
Don't think the piglets survived, as they were just days old and not weaned.

Tried to skin him, but he was just too rank to eat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom