Scope advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need a little input guys. I have a Rem. 700 heavy barrel 308 and am looking at the Mueller 4.5-14 or SWFA SS 10x. I t will mainly be used for hunting were shots could be 10 yards on out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You seem to be thinking right. I use allot of 3.5x10x44 scopes mostly zeiss and Burris and have had good luck with them. Not to bulky or big and not over magnified either I've also got a couple of 50mm objectives and a 38mm objectives. And for their intended purpose they work great. I've got a couple of really high end scopes and some bargain basement scopes. The best advice I can give is to spend at least half what you gave for the rifle on glass. I don't mind fixed power but love a variable especially since you said shots could be close. Just make sure to buy good rings and bases. And if you donn know what ur doing have someone who does install it. I'd recommend looking at a nikon buckmaster series scope not bad for the money. I'm a huge zeiss fan But sometimes the 6-700 price tag is hard to swallow. Shop around locally and the Internet to find your best deal. Good luck. And happy shooting 7stw

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't overlook the Bushnell Elite series. They are great scopes for the money. Nikon is good too. If you are not going high end, Japanese glass is the way to go. My $.02

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4.5X is too high for close in shots. a 2.5-10 would be a much better choice. Anything above 10X is too much. +1 for Bushnell Elite & Nikon. Opticsplanet had some good deals on Burris scopes IIRC, which would be a good choice as well.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im surprised no one has mentioned Leupold. I just bought one to go with my new Savage. It is the LT/R 4.5x14x40. Love it and the glass is great. Like mentioned its good to spend half on the scope what you did on the Rifle. I did it backwards and spent twice on the scope what the rifle cost. Oh well if you can swing it might look at Leupold.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like mentioned its good to spend half on the scope what you did on the Rifle.
Price of the scope really depends on features required: a lot of times a $30 fixed power scope can serve it's purpose for many many years.
My rule of thumb is: $100 for decent glass and $100 per decent knob: magnification, objective, windage, elevation, illumination.

With that said Elite is what I would recommend - quality and warranty at best value.

And yet I got a Banner that I got used couple of years back, mounted on a few magnums and now sits on top of my prairie dog AR - great glass, adjustments are not exactly 1/4", but once dialed in - 100% reliable.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SWFA 3-9x or Vortex Viper PST 4-16x would both serve you well. I feel that both of these scopes are of high quality. You will be hard pressed to beat the Vortex. It's priced VERY well for the features it offers. FFP, Mil/Mil or Moa/Moa, illuminated reticle, lifetime no questions asked warranty, etc.