Scope for Rem 700 .243

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've read the threads in the past, but can't find all of them now. Apparently, "scope" "rifle" and "500" are used in a TON of threads!

**Edit**
Found some of the threads.
Scope for a 700 SPS 308?
What scope for AR-10 20inch

In the $300-$500 price range, what scope features should I be looking for, and from what makers? I'm wanting to try to look through and handle some of these at the show.

What I'll be using it for... paper punching. Maybe someday, I'll take it varmint hunting, but this will likely never be a drag around hunting rifle, so weight isn't *that* much of an issue, nor is retaining low magnification for fast / close shots.

Companies I've heard worth considering (in my $ range):
Millett
Falcon Menace
Bushnell Elite
Burris
Nikon

I'd rather not go with a fixed power scope, but I honestly know pretty much nothing when it comes to shooting rifles, so I'll hear any suggestions.

I'm also going to be putting a new stock (thinking B&C A3) and Harris bipod on it.

I've heard the "just shoot it" argument, and I respect that, but I think I'd enjoy shooting it more if I had better equipment.

I know ezbake has both the B&C A3, and a FM scope, so I may hit you up to fondle those.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read the threads in the past, but can't find all of them now. Apparently, "scope" "rifle" and "500" are used in a TON of threads!

**Edit**
Found some of the threads.
Scope for a 700 SPS 308?
What scope for AR-10 20inch

In the $300-$500 price range, what scope features should I be looking for, and from what makers? I'm wanting to try to look through and handle some of these at the show.

What I'll be using it for... paper punching. Maybe someday, I'll take it varmint hunting, but this will likely never be a drag around hunting rifle, so weight isn't *that* much of an issue, nor is retaining low magnification for fast / close shots.

Companies I've heard worth considering (in my $ range):
Millett
Falcon Menace
Bushnell Elite
Burris
Nikon

I'd rather not go with a fixed power scope, but I honestly know pretty much nothing when it comes to shooting rifles, so I'll hear any suggestions.

I'm also going to be putting a new stock (thinking B&C A3) and Harris bipod on it.

I've heard the "just shoot it" argument, and I respect that, but I think I'd enjoy shooting it more if I had better equipment.

I know ezbake has both the B&C A3, and a FM scope, so I may hit you up to fondle those.

Dude - lets do it. I'd add in the Vortex line of optics to your list.

Midway now has CounterSniper optics - I'm going to go ahead and say to stay clear of those:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1301952

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When would be a good time? I'll have to clear anything with the boss first...

I've been browsing several forums for used optics, and saw this:
Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56 @ SnipersHide

Worth anything?

Love to put THIS on it, but that kinda blows my budget!

What about something like below for $489?
Burris Fullfield 2 6.5-20 mildot @ optics planet

That Nightforce is a killer deal man.

The Falcon on the Hide is a good deal as well.

I gave up on the the Fullfield tactical because of a couple of annoyances that kept me from considering it - mainly the only 30 MOA of adjustment in the knobs and with the TAC-2 knobs, the numbers only go to 9, so there's an offset after one complete rotation.

Here's Sniper Central's review:
http://www.snipercentral.com/fullfieldtact.htm

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That Nightforce is a killer deal man.

The Falcon on the Hide is a good deal as well.

I gave up on the the Fullfield tactical because of a couple of annoyances that kept me from considering it - mainly the only 30 MOA of adjustment in the knobs and with the TAC-2 knobs, the numbers only go to 9, so there's an offset after one complete rotation.

Here's Sniper Central's review:
http://www.snipercentral.com/fullfieldtact.htm

I know it, wish I could afford to drop $1k on a scope right now!

OK, those gripes on the Burris make sense to me.

So, out of the Falcon I linked to above, and the two below, which would y'all recommend?
Sightron SII Series 6.5-20x42 for $440 1" tube
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for $400 30mm tube

For anything with a 30mm tube, I will have to buy new rings. Which leads me to another question, I have a Leupold standard 1 piece base and 1" rings right now. Would I be better off getting a 1 piece Pic base and 30mm rings, or just buying 30mm rings for the Leupold base?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Fast forward a year...

I have a Bushy 6500 2.5-16x mounted in Burris XTR med rings, on a EGW 1 piece base.

The medium rings (.5" from base to bottom of scope tube) are too high, so I need to buy some low rings.

Suggestions on good low height 30mm pic rings in the $50 range? So far my suggestions have been another set of XTR's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom