Scope for Ruger Scout .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a .308 Ruger Scout, and have just started looking at scout style optics. Intend ranges would be from 0-250yd (Max), and am looking for a bright, variable power scope in matte black. I have a Leupold 30mm 1-4X on my 458S AR and it's a very nice scope, but thinking 5 or 6x as the upper end for this one. Price isn't much of a concern, but the word Nightforce makes my cheap bone hurt.
So, any Scout scope experience or recomendations?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a look at the Vortex Strike Eagle. It's a reasonably priced optic in the power range you seek. After that, I think you are going to be in the $1000 range.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks have been really happy with the new Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 in FFP, its also in SFP but x44
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/viper_pst_riflescopes

Beyond that --- You could try the Strike Eagle at 1-6x, should be out in next 1-3 months range.

May consider the SWFA SS 1-6x........Bushy ET with BTR2 in 1-6.5. But pricing IMO puts you well beyond the hundreds you'd save with a PST Vortex. If going that route, the Razor HD 1-6x.............or NF, USO options may be the ticket for that kind of coin.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks have been really happy with the new Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 in FFP, its also in SFP but x44
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/viper_pst_riflescopes

Beyond that --- You could try the Strike Eagle at 1-6x, should be out in next 1-3 months range.

May consider the SWFA SS 1-6x........Bushy ET with BTR2 in 1-6.5. But pricing IMO puts you well beyond the hundreds you'd save with a PST Vortex. If going that route, the Razor HD 1-6x.............or NF, USO options may be the ticket for that kind of coin.

I'm not sure the eye relief would be long enough on any of those scopes.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger Gunsite scout rifle, and this is what I ended up putting on top of it:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leatherwood-hi-lux-optics-2-7x32mm-long-eye-relief-ler27x32.html (shop around for prices though if you decide to go with this one)

Nothing I can complain about, it's been great glass for me, held it's zero perfectly fine so far.

There used to be an article online comparing the different LER scopes in the 2-7 class, is compared Leo, the hi-lux, bushnell (maybe) and a few other. I had posted the article, and tracked down the link, but the article has since been removed and google can't find it anywhere else on the web for me either, weird. It pretty much was (trying to remember from over a year ago) the Leo had marginally better clarity than the hi-lux, but the hi-lux was either same quality or better than everything else (including the leo) in every other category, and cheaper.

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want variable power, I'd just get a standard eye relief scope. Variable power doesn't work well with scout scopes, due to eye relief changing too much between different magnification.

If you want a scout scope, you need a lower powered one for the system to work as intended for snap shots and moving targets. If done right, a scout scope does these things faster than a conventionally-mounted scope.

If you want a good scout scope, The Leupold 2.25x and the Burris 2.5x are the only ones I'd consider.

Latest posts

Top Bottom