scope in COLD weather...like this morning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got out this morning for the first morning hunt of the season. It was about 24* F when i walked out of the house and into the woods. The house was about 60* where my rifle was sitting as the wood stove doesnt heat that part all to well. Got to where I wanted to sit and waited for the sun to come up. When it did I noticed that my rifle had formed a frost on the barrel, some of the action, and on scope tube. Looked throught he scope and it was fogged kinda. Wiped it off with my wool gloves (all I had) and went on. Came back once but not as bad and if I slightly took a breath on it it would fog smooth up. Looked almost like fog but was somewhat icy the first time. Was this just an issue of it going from warn spot to cold and freezing or does it need to come off and be sent in?

Scope is a leupold rifleman 3-9x40 btw

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got out this morning for the first morning hunt of the season. It was about 24* F when i walked out of the house and into the woods. The house was about 60* where my rifle was sitting as the wood stove doesnt heat that part all to well. Got to where I wanted to sit and waited for the sun to come up. When it did I noticed that my rifle had formed a frost on the barrel, some of the action, and on scope tube. Looked throught he scope and it was fogged kinda. Wiped it off with my wool gloves (all I had) and went on. Came back once but not as bad and if I slightly took a breath on it it would fog smooth up. Looked almost like fog but was somewhat icy the first time. Was this just an issue of it going from warn spot to cold and freezing or does it need to come off and be sent in?

Scope is a leupold rifleman 3-9x40 btw

Nothing to worry about. Fog happens - it's why you don't approach a parked car at night when the windows are fogged up. Let's be honest - nobody really wants to see that anyway, so hurray for fog!

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used anti-fog lens spray on paintball goggles before with awesome results. Never tried it on a scope, but I'm sure it would work the same. I'll have to see which brand of spray I have. It blew me away how well it worked. Bought it at the D-Day event. Had to after attempting to play at night. My lenses fogged up so bad, I couldn't see 3 ft. in front of me. I think I shot a few of my team mates that night on accident...

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i leave my rifle in my truck at deer camp to prevent this

yep; thats the best way to prevent fog, as well as condensation leading up to rust. Keep the gun in an unheated garage, mud room, or vehicle. Back when I hunted a lot, Id keep my hunting rifle in a truck box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom