Scope??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Baggin98

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im looking for the best cheap scope out there. Its gonna go on my ruger 10/22 and is just for plinking so thats why Im not looking for anything crazy. Any help will be appreciated, thanks guys!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
By "best cheap" what are you talking here? Is this a squirrel rig, target rig? What budget are you looking at being "cheap"?

I have a Bushnell 6-20x40 that seems to be a good scope that I got off this site for $70. I believe theres a Bushnell 6-18x40 in the classifieds now for $75.

For a $100-$150 the Mueller scopes get pretty decent reviews, although I've never tried one personally.
http://swfa.com/Mueller-85-25x44-Tactical-Riflescope-P9140.aspx
http://swfa.com/Mueller-45-14x40-APV-Riflescope-P9136.aspx

T-Baggin98

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, by cheap I ment around $50-$70 range. Its a plinker and pest remover. Ive never bought a scope for any of my rifles. The only ones Ive had came included and are gone now.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a 3-9x Simmons for a .22, it'd be fine for squirrels/minor pests, but I'd almost prefer good peep sights / red dot for anything that may be really close, or moving. The top end of a 3-9x (most of what you'll find at Wally world, etc for <$50) is too much for moving targets. The .22 I had the scope on way outshoots the scope, and most of the cheap ones have a fixed parallax, which means that if you change much from the set distance, the crosshairs get blurry. If by pest remover you need close up work, get whatever scope you want, and mount it using see-thru mounts so you can still use the irons for fast/close shots. One thing I've noticed, is that most pests come out at night, and a scope sucks at night.

T-Baggin98

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I guess Ill just have to spend a little more than what I origionally thought but thats ok with me. By pests I mean I set up and plink turtles and snakes out of our ponds and lots of possums and other little critters out in our fields. Ive just always just used fixed sites and figure its about time I upgrade a bit. I just dont have much knowledge on scopes other than how to use them.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to do with it. I really like my Mueller APV 3.5-14x44mm. I have it on my CZ 452 16". I typically shoot between 75-200yds. I wouldn't want to go with any less magnification personally. If anything, I would want to be able to reach out even a little further. Maybe a 25x. The APV was $115 shipped from Mizzou Mule. Hitting metal plates at 200yds with a suppressed .22 is lots 'o fun! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom