Scout Rifle Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what's the difference between mounting a hangun scope forward of a receiver vs mounting a "scout" scope forward of the receiver?

Leupold and Burris have handgun scopes AND scout scopes. The handgun scopes have about 18" of eye relief and the scout scopes have about 10".

Anyone done either? How did it turn out?

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MBB, I've never had a scout scope, so I talking a little bit out my rear, but I think you've got the right answer. It's just a matter of eye relief. I'm guessing scout scopes came into existence largely because a pistol scope's eye relief was just too much.

I think if you hold one of each at arm's length, you'll see a difference.

Now that I've ventured an opinion, maybe someone who knows will speak up and make me look bad.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built one a while back out of a 600 Rem. All I can say is go with the intermediate eye releif (scout), pistol scope eye relief is just too long. As an aside I found that a 1.5X scout scope did nothing that irons don't do, maybe a 2-2.5X would be better, but I ended up just using the rifle with iron sights. KurtM

Bushman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I mounted 2x7 20mm pistol scope with a b-square scout mount on my sks. It looked uglier than sin, but the eye releif was fine. I could pickup and engage targets a lot faster than a traditional scope. A bigger objective (28 or 30mm) would be better.