Selling guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullittstang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wanting a Colt Defender .45 and I have a LCP with crimson trace and an LCR with Hi-viz front sight. Both guns have had about 100 rounds shot through them and have some Hornaday Critical Defense ammo for both. Might post in classifieds later. Thanks guys

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to sell in the classifieds but be sure to learn how to post pictures and have at least one good picture of each.
You can look at gunbroker.com and actionarms.com to see what they are currently going for and use that as a basis for setting your price.
remember that there are a lot of people who will pay more for not having to fill out the paperwork so don't undersell your guns.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the gun(s) can be traced back to you I'd definitely make a bill of sale that includes the serial # and the name and address of the buyer and I'd check the buyer's driver's license. As much as we'd all like it to be, this isn't the 1950s.

If you check online for prices pay attention to the prices guns sell for, not the prices asked. Most auctions are never completed because the seller sets the price too high.

Good luck.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the gun(s) can be traced back to you I'd definitely make a bill of sale that includes the serial # and the name and address of the buyer and I'd check the buyer's driver's license. As much as we'd all like it to be, this isn't the 1950s.

If you check online for prices pay attention to the prices guns sell for, not the prices asked. Most auctions are never completed because the seller sets the price too high.

Good luck.

I see folks recommend a bill of sale, but what good would it do? Unless it is notarized, there is no way to prove it is legit. I can make up a bill of sale with your name and address on it and say I sold you a certain gun. All you have to say is you never bought it, so how could I prove that you did?

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see folks recommend a bill of sale, but what good would it do? Unless it is notarized, there is no way to prove it is legit. I can make up a bill of sale with your name and address on it and say I sold you a certain gun. All you have to say is you never bought it, so how could I prove that you did?

A signature. Is it a document that will stand up in a US Supreme Court argument against some slick lawyer? Of course not. But it's a paper trial that can help get you off the hook if something goes down. I ask for a bill of sale even when I buy a gun. A bill of sale works both ways. It helps protect both the buyer and the seller. Do whatever you want. Me, I'm making a bill of sale to help cover my ass.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A signature. Is it a document that will stand up in a US Supreme Court argument against some slick lawyer? Of course not. But it's a paper trial that can help get you off the hook if something goes down. I ask for a bill of sale even when I buy a gun. A bill of sale works both ways. It helps protect both the buyer and the seller. Do whatever you want. Me, I'm making a bill of sale to help cover my ass.

I am not trying to argue with you, so please don't take it that way. My point is that it is a false sense of security. It would not carry any weight in any court. It does not "cover your ass" in any way. I can take a piece of paper and type it up saying I sold you my gun, add your name and address and sign my name and have my wife sign your name. Since there are no witnesses or a notary signature on the document, it means nothing. If the law ever came after you and you show them your bill of sale that is not notarized/witnessed, the other person simply has to say "it wasn't me". You have absolutely no proof that it was him. If you want to "cover your ass", have the guy meet you at an FFL, transfer the gun to the FFL and then have the buyer do the 4473 from the FFL.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I have to sign any paperwork on a used firearm (unless it's through a dealer), I'll just kill the deal. There's risk both ways: you don't offer me a warranty, and I don't offer you anything other than a fist full of cash and a "thank you".

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Selling a gun? I look for:

An in-state, face to face buyer
Cash
a handshake

That's pretty much it for me. I don't mess with any other paperwork.

Beck8302

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Selling a gun? I look for:

An in-state, face to face buyer
Cash
a handshake

That's pretty much it for me. I don't mess with any other paperwork.

What if that person commits a crime with that gun, It would come back to you right? What would you tell the police when they came asking you about it? The reason im asking is cause I sold my gun the same way but this guy was known at the shooting range but what if he sales it to someone and later they commit a crime. I guess my question is what is the best way to protect yourself without getting a piece of paper signed and notarized?

Latest posts

Top Bottom