Sheds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably relative to your area to an extent.
#1 get out. Won't ever find them on the couch. I find them checking fences, hiking, fishing, riding around, etc. Any place there are deer you have the potential of finding sheds.
#2 look for them. Just being out doesn't put them in your pile. I go with people that are not into it and see them walk right by them. There is a bit of skill involved, training your eyes what to look for. Sheds are either pointed up or down. Look for symetry in things poking up, or that round curve of the main beam sticking up. Most of the time tines are up.
#3 go to early feeding areas. Those places that are just now turning green are my go to areas. Tender green browse surrounded by clumps of dead grass is where I imagine them feeding and hooking loose horns on vegetation surrounding browse.
#4 trails. Trails going from bedding to feeding areas that have low hanging limbs to knock of a horn can be productive. Largecedar trees that don't have real low limbs have been productive. And all those little open areas between trees canbe good. Deer might knock it loose on the fence or tree, but it might not fall off for another 30 yards.
#5 fencelines, creeks, anything where deer have to jump can cause them to fall off. These are my last places I hit, but will always check. Always good for a single or something, but not where I find most.
#6 everywhere else. They can fall off at any time, so any area is a potential find, but there are definitely patterns to areas that are more productive.

I'm no expert for aure, but put many hours in searching. Get on a 4w and cover lots of ground. Go over the same spot from multiple directions, they can be hard to find. They're all out there though, just got to look! Good luck!

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If any of you guys do anything artistic with this stuff I would like to see pics please. TY. (A good buddy of mine when I was a kid in Osage county had a cool pipe he had made out of one).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably relative to your area to an extent.
#1 get out. Won't ever find them on the couch. I find them checking fences, hiking, fishing, riding around, etc. Any place there are deer you have the potential of finding sheds.
#2 look for them. Just being out doesn't put them in your pile. I go with people that are not into it and see them walk right by them. There is a bit of skill involved, training your eyes what to look for. Sheds are either pointed up or down. Look for symetry in things poking up, or that round curve of the main beam sticking up. Most of the time tines are up.
#3 go to early feeding areas. Those places that are just now turning green are my go to areas. Tender green browse surrounded by clumps of dead grass is where I imagine them feeding and hooking loose horns on vegetation surrounding browse.
#4 trails. Trails going from bedding to feeding areas that have low hanging limbs to knock of a horn can be productive. Largecedar trees that don't have real low limbs have been productive. And all those little open areas between trees canbe good. Deer might knock it loose on the fence or tree, but it might not fall off for another 30 yards.
#5 fencelines, creeks, anything where deer have to jump can cause them to fall off. These are my last places I hit, but will always check. Always good for a single or something, but not where I find most.
#6 everywhere else. They can fall off at any time, so any area is a potential find, but there are definitely patterns to areas that are more productive.

I'm no expert for aure, but put many hours in searching. Get on a 4w and cover lots of ground. Go over the same spot from multiple directions, they can be hard to find. They're all out there though, just got to look! Good luck!

Every thing he just told you will contribute to you finding the best deer hunting areas. If your new to deer hunting, take this intel and be several steps above those that don't.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent a fair amount of time today walking over several acres, actually looking for Morel mushrooms, but had my eyes peeled for sheds as well. Never found a thing ... mushrooms OR sheds!

Latest posts

Top Bottom