Shiny brass tip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our gunsmith instructor gave us a tip I thought I might pass on to my fellow reloaders. Before tumbling if you will soak your sized and unprimed brass in warm water and white vinegar for about 15 minutes before tumbling..it really shines it up. Tried it a few days ago and it does make a difference.

add some salt and it makes an acid that will clean the crud off the darkest cases.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well while we are on brass cleaning tips, I'd just use the vinegar since it cheaper, but Birchwood Casey brass cleaner concentrate works good. It's phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid based. Mix with water just like it says and be warned. It will turn your brass reeeeeeeaaaallll pink if you leave it in too long. This could be a good thing for finding your brass at matches? :scratch:
But you will get ribbed mercilessly for having pretty pink brass.

But with any acid based solution you should give them a good plain hot water rinse after cleaning.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lemishine, dawn, and stainless steel media. Looks just like new every time.

+1 for the Lemi Shine. I bought some yesterday and put it to the test, and man, it makes a big difference! But wait, now we're adding Dawn to the mix?!?!?! How so? How much you adding? I just made a small batch of the LemiShine ... I put a teaspoon in about three cups of water. I figured I'd make a larger quantity when I found out how well it worked. More details, please!

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for the Lemi Shine. I bought some yesterday and put it to the test, and man, it makes a big difference! But wait, now we're adding Dawn to the mix?!?!?! How so? How much you adding? I just made a small batch of the LemiShine ... I put a teaspoon in about three cups of water. I figured I'd make a larger quantity when I found out how well it worked. More details, please!

The guys that are tumbling in their Thumbler model B tumblers use a 45 ACP case full if i remember correctly

Ronk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those who like to add a little polishing cream to their tumbling, try Nu-Finish car polish that you can get at Harbor Freight. It contains no ammonia like Brasso does and a little goes a long way towards making your cases a little brighter.
+1 I mix a cap full of Nu-Finish with a little Low-Odor Mineral Spirits to make it a little runnier to keep the walnut from clumping up. Throw in 2 drier sheets cut up into strips to absorb all the crud and help keep the media cleaner.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I use about a tablespoon of Dawn and a .40 case worth of lemishine. Simple as that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom