Short Barrel - 9mm or 5.56?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9mm or 5.56?

• 9mm

Votes: 19 61.3%

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dustin that's what I've Been looking at but what if I don't sbr it and get a suppressor for awhile? It'll be in pistol configuration for awhile. What handguard would u get? Is it like with a 5" you'd suppress it but itlf it would be years before you suppressed it go with 10" with 10" rail?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran the 5" barrel and 7" rail for several months until I got my can. You don't want to get your hand in front of the muzzle on the rail, but behind it there were no issues. I don't think it was dangerous in front though. It felt like a big puff of air with sand in it hitting your hand. No burning just startling. I installed the VFG in the position shown in my pics and I use it properly so my hand is always behind the muzzle. I shot the practical rifle match a few times at Oil Capitol in Tulsa without the can. It ran just fine. It did get some junk on the inside of the rail that I can't clean, but it isn't bad and you can't see it anyway.

I would rather get the 5" barrel and a 4" rail or tube made for a pistol if you don't plan on a suppressor for a few years. That way you'll be behind the muzzle and you can swap it later when you get the can. The 3-lug barrel with an MP5 flash hider on it with a 4" rail also looks pretty good.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It did look a little goofy with the barrel hidden my the rail though.

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_ARs_9d326e3c.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the shortest barrel one can put on an AR with a butt stock, without having to get a tax stamp? 14" or something?

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I've got a few 5.56 ar-15's....

The best way to answer this question would be for you to shoot both and get a feel for them. I'm fortunate to have one of each and would be happy to bring them out for you to try. Dustin was very helpfull when I built my 9mm as well.

I don't have Dustin's photography skills but my gun is way sexier... lol...
ai249.photobucket.com_albums_gg202_rustyzx9_ThuFeb25220015CST2010.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom