Should I pull the trigger on this purchase first gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackgunsmatter

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hey guys so here’s the deal. In less than a month I will be 18 and lookin to purchase an Arsenal Sam7 AK for my first Rifle. $1500 In also really worried that in the current political climate they will be banned soon even with lord trump in office. The problem is my dad is trying to talk me out of it, his reason is “It’s a complete waste of money” and “we already have the exact same model” except it’s a handgun version of it. Do y’all think it’s worth it to spend a decent chunk of my savings on this rifle. The only reason why I want it so soon is because I’m worried guns like it will be banned soon. What do y’all think?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys so here’s the deal. In less than a month I will be 18 and lookin to purchase an Arsenal Sam7 AK for my first Rifle. $1500 In also really worried that in the current political climate they will be banned soon even with lord trump in office. The problem is my dad is trying to talk me out of it, his reason is “It’s a complete waste of money” and “we already have the exact same model” except it’s a handgun version of it. Do y’all think it’s worth it to spend a decent chunk of my savings on this rifle. The only reason why I want it so soon is because I’m worried guns like it will be banned soon. What do y’all think?

Not going to happen, I would NOT rush into such a purchase. That's just me. There is absolutely ZERO PERCENT CHANCE that is getting banned in the next 2-3 years and probably longer. I am not an AK guru, so I don't know much about that specific model, but I would definitely NOT advise and 18 y/o to drop $1500 super quick on a firearm like that simply based on the fear of possible legislation - none of which is even pending, at the moment.

Give it some time.

Unless, of course, you are flush with cash and it isn't going to matter a lick one way or the other and you just want the gun. Sure. Don't put yourself in a position of having to use savings that is a backup for life's necessities - take the time to save that money specifically for this gun, not out of a general savings fund. But if you're rich, then who cares? Buy what you want.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^ Its not a AK buyers market right now. $1500 is too much for a SAM7. Your dad probably doesn't think its a waste of money but doesn't want you to blow $1500 for a $1000 AK. You can get a Polish WBP for under a grand right now and my opinion is they're better than Bulgarian Sam7s (even though they're stamped)

Blackgunsmatter

New to the site!
Reaction score
^^^^ Its not a AK buyers market right now. $1500 is too much for a SAM7. Your dad probably doesn't think its a waste of money but doesn't want you to blow $1500 for a $1000 AK. You can get a Polish WBP for under a grand right now and my opinion is they're better than Bulgarian Sam7s (even though they're stamped)

Would you recommend a Colt LE6920 Ar-15 for about $800 or are those over priced as well?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ak's are a simple platform and spending $1500 is going to get you a rifle that will not shoot any better than a $400-600 AK. And with your savings you can make the rifle your own with very little money.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you recommend a Colt LE6920 Ar-15 for about $800 or are those over priced as well?
Absolutely, But right now, $800 is over price for a LE6920. You can get them closer to $700 for a OEM version which just doesn't come with a stock or hand guard. You just buy the stock and hand guard of your choice and slap it on. You'll need a rear sight too but still a pretty good deal

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Heres the OEM version without hand guard, stock or rear sight for $709. A
http://www.centerfireguns.com/colt-le6920-oem1-car-5-56-16-w-kit-le6920oemss.html?source=slickguns

A full equipped LE6920 will come with a Colt basic stock and handguard which there is nothing wrong with, but the OEM lets you get the rifle cheaper and put the furniture of your choice on it

Edit: If you want to shoot right out of the box $800 is average price for the Colt LE6920

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a sam7sf for a lot less than that recently. It’s a great gun, it was used but not abused. I got lucky! If I didn’t get that Sam7sf for the price I did I was going to wait for the class an OSA member puts together. He helps you put together your own ak. He provides all the tools and knowledge. I wish I would have went to his last class. I know he was working on another class a while back but I don’t think it has happened yet. You may look into it. Send him a PM and see what he says about the chances of another class.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/ak-class.237363/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom