Show your swag!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude... If I was trying to be cool...or trying to lie about being cool...I woulda picked something besides a Pinto wagon. Something awesome like a Vega.

Since someone brought up the names of a couple of old vehicles, I have a question. Wasn't it the Corvair that was touted as being so dangerous because of a fire in the case of a rear end collision? Something about the gas tank being in the wrong place?

With that thought in mind, I will never have an electric vehicle, especially so if they put those big batteries directly under the passenger compartment. I wouldn't want an EV to turn into a WOK.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
mine is a farm truck. In case anyone asks you can get 34 bales on an F150. There are only 29 on here in this picture but I took the pic while I was figuring out how to throw a 60lb bale that high without permanent damage to my old body.

72079887063__6ABE4223-DAA1-4B0A-9345-A10FCA0E5F38.jpeg

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since someone brought up the names of a couple of old vehicles, I have a question. Wasn't it the Corvair that was touted as being so dangerous because of a fire in the case of a rear end collision? Something about the gas tank being in the wrong place?

With that thought in mind, I will never have an electric vehicle, especially so if they put those big batteries directly under the passenger compartment. I wouldn't want an EV to turn into a WOK.

The Corvair was discontinued because of ungainly handling, rear engine, very lightweight nose, easily lost control in turns and to make it worse, all unibody and no frame, so it crumpled easily in an accident. Other issues included poor brakes and CO intrusion into the cabin. The Pinto was the one that had the "exploding" gas tank. Root cause was lack of a bracket that when installed prevented the filler neck from becoming detached in a rear end collision. BTW, in the original lawsuit that brought this to light, the plaintiffs also sued the city since the curbs were too tall for the Pinto to get off the road.

Other cars known for exploding, The Chevy Vega and Pontiac Astre.

Finally, The Ford Crown Victoria had a tendency to ignite when struck in the rear by a vehicle traveling in excess of 100 mph. I believe a police officer sued for this with the popularity of the Crown Vic in law enforcement.

Back to swag...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Corvair was discontinued because of ungainly handling, rear engine, very lightweight nose, easily lost control in turns and to make it worse, all unibody and no frame, so it crumpled easily in an accident. Other issues included poor brakes and CO intrusion into the cabin. The Pinto was the one that had the "exploding" gas tank. Root cause was lack of a bracket that when installed prevented the filler neck from becoming detached in a rear end collision. BTW, in the original lawsuit that brought this to light, the plaintiffs also sued the city since the curbs were too tall for the Pinto to get off the road.

Finally, The Ford Crown Victoria had a tendency to ignite when struck in the rear by a vehicle traveling in excess of 100 mph. I believe a police officer sued for this with the popularity of the Crown Vic in law enforcement.

Back to swag...

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was an issue with the Corvair but couldn't remember just what. Still, I don't want a fire hazard under my feet in a vehicle.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Back to swag...

I can confirm they liked to catch on fire. I had two that did...but due to a different reason. Both caught fire in the engine compartment from seized alternators.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can confirm they liked to catch on fire. I had two that did...but due to a different reason. Both caught fire in the engine compartment from seized alternators.
Actually think I did hear something about that as well. Worth mentioning, Pontiac Fieros (ironically named) also had a tendency to catch fire, poor engine cooling, poor oiling contributed to that. Ralph Nader made his name with his book on the Corvair, "Unsafe at Any Speed."

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My preferred usage is "Scientific Wild-Assed Guess." That acronym is SWAG. Swag (capitalized or not) is the term referred to in your dictionary definition, where "loot" is also my favorite definition. ;)

I've gotten some neat swag in my life, most of which I no longer have. One item that I'm still PO'd about was a dummy 30mm cannon shell used in testing the GAU-8 cannon/Gatling gun used in the A-10 Warthog. I documented some testing to see how they responded to barrel obstructions. Got it for being helpful and willing to work under some pretty weird conditions at Eglin AFB's Climate lab. Unlike most guns, if you fill the barrel with ice, and fire it, they throw a 7-foot spear of ice in front of the bullet when fired. They do not blow up. It was one of the cooler things I've done in my life. :) Transitioning from -20 degree F to over 90 degrees F and back multiple times a day to freeze a loaded barrel and run it to the range and fire it, among other things.

I've long wanted a gun that fired bullets built like the ones for the GAU-8. They have Teflon drive bands, weigh about 4.5lbs each, and have, IIRC, a 4000fps muzzle velocity. Were made of depleted uranium for armor piercing shot, aluminum for dummy rounds and practice rounds. Did that work in the late 70's, and I think it was early in the 80's that the cop-killer bullet scare outlawed using Teflon on bullets, so didn't get to play with them after all. :( All I wanted to do was modernize my main battle rifle, a 1903 Springfield. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom