SHOWDOWN : Kerry gives Putin until Monday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know everyone is watching Putin and the Russians, and i dont mean to derail the conversation. However, i think the more important situation has to do with China.
If China makes a move on the Spratley or Senkaku islands during this crisis then the world is in for a **** storm. Dont think for a second that Russias moves in the Ukraine are not being coordinated with China. Hell, the Chinese are now threatening the US over Kerry and Obamas red line talk about Russias obvious plan for the Ukraine, betting on the proclivity of our leaders to cave and move the goal posts. The fact is that if China decided to sink us, they could stop buying our debt. We have become a slave to their money.
The Chinese may very well decide that the debt they have financed may be worth less than what they can achieve by using force, especially if they have an ally like Russia. They are making their moves based on the apparent weakness of our foreign policy and the leadership promoting it.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know everyone is watching Putin and the Russians, and i dont mean to derail the conversation. However, i think the more important situation has to do with China.
If China makes a move on the Spratley or Senkaku islands during this crisis then the world is in for a **** storm. Dont think for a second that Russias moves in the Ukraine are not being coordinated with China. Hell, the Chinese are now threatening the US over Kerry and Obamas red line talk about Russias obvious plan for the Ukraine, betting on the proclivity of our leaders to cave and move the goal posts. The fact is that if China decided to sink us, they could stop buying our debt. We have become a slave to their money.
The Chinese may very well decide that the debt they have financed may be worth less than what they can achieve by using force, especially if they have an ally like Russia. They are making their moves based on the apparent weakness of our foreign policy and the leadership promoting it.

Interesting insight but I would add a couple of things. The US is the largest debtor nation in the history of the world. China is the worlds largest creditor. That said, China when compared to the US and the EU have an economy 1/10th the size. China has also already stated publicly they consider US bonds a write off and have stopped their purchases. They cannot, however, crash the US bond market because we can halt trading in bonds at any moment.

The issue in Ukraine is for control of the pipelines that supply Europe and to surround Russia with Balistic Missle Defense systems. A third of the natural gas in Europe is supplied by Gasprom, the largest natural gas company in the world( they coincidentally have a major pipeline in Syria as well). The whole situation started when the Ukrainian government voted own an economic union with the EU which prompted Soros backed protagonists to go in and escalate the situation. The majority of the people were never in favor of that deal. Now that the "temperorary" government is in, which includes many of the same people that were already there, you see them meeting with Obama and other western leaders.

The sanctions that our Congress is voting on is a little bit more tricky to understand. US sanctions will have a neglagible effect on the Russian economy. EU sanctions would have a greater effect but that might be more detramental to the EU than Russia since their natural gas cannot be easily replaced and would cause prices in Europe to skyrocket. Ukraine also had several billion dollars in debt owed to Russia and was on the verge of bankruptcy. The financial aid package the US is sending to the Ukraine is supposed to be used to pay off the Russians, effectively moving financial control of the country from East to West.

We all know that the Crimea has a large Russian population. More importantly is the Russian naval base there that is the only Russian warm water port. You can be sure that they will go to war before they let that go. My guess would be Putin knows how war weary the US population is and is gambling that it will prevent any military confrontation.

China's role is harder to understand. They are active but in a much quieter way. Commenting on their actions would only be speculation.

I would like to know if any of our elected officials believe that their hipocracy in their criticism of Russia is lost on the American public. Do they truly believe we are that ignorant, or are they the stupid ones? Anther possibility is that our intelligence agencies are only feeding them the intel that supports the administrations goals. Who really knows, everything that would tell us what's really going on is classified anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom