Sig 556 classic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbors buddy bought one a few weeks ago and he let me shoot it today. Hand load 69gr HPBT @ 100yds with a cheapo Bushnell 3X9 I was getting .5 - .75 5 shot groups. At 200 I was between 1.25 and 1.5. I liked the fit and funtion, I am gonna get one!

From the ones i've seen that one is a "special" one... A bud of mine has three of em and about 2-3 MOA is all he gets out of the 69gr SMK.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this is the gas piston operated carbine that I just looked at a couple weeks ago, I was wondering if the ambi safety was reachable by anyone without taking your hand off of the pistol grip? The ergonomics of this carbine was way off to my medium sized hand. It reminded of how strange the Saiga AK-47 stock-to-trigger reach seems to be. Or maybe the carbine I saw was called STG 556? Can you set the safety or switch it off without breaking your grip?

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I LOVE my 556. It is front heavy, but I knew that going in.

I just mounted a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20mm scope on it this weekend, positively can't wait to get it zeroed in. It was previously wearing an EOTech.

Mine is a Classic modded with flip up front sights. My AR handles a bit better and is an AR, but I do love my Sig. Got about ~500 rounds down the tube so far and it's been perfectly accurate and reliable so far.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me know what you think of it after you've shot it. There may be one in my near future. It has the piston, right?
Any 556 will be piston operated. It isn't an AR which has gas piston operation added; it is built from the ground up as a gas piston driven platform based heavily on the Swiss Sig 55x series of assault rifles.

The bolt and bolt carrier design, charging handle configuration, and quite a few other things in addition to the gas system are pretty different from an AR design. It's pretty different from the LMT, CMMG, Ruger SR-556, et al piston based AR's.

If the OP gets a 556 or anybody else wants to learn more about them, this forum is a great place to start. A few guys have some very helpful posts about stripping and working on them that proved very helpful to me.

All said, the 556 certainly isn't "better" than an AR, but they are a very good (if fairly different) platform for a 5.56 carbine on their own merits IMO.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was considering one, but the non-chrome lined barrel/bore kills it for me.

For $1,500 I would want something that would last longer...granted, most people don't shoot that much, but still...

Latest posts

Top Bottom