Sig 556 problem/question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalstrand

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my 556 to the range Saturday and after the first magazine the bolt failed to hold open. Before shooting it worked fine. I tried a Pmag, the factory Sig mag, and a Lancer L5 and had the same results with all of them. When I broke it open and inserted a magazine so I could see what was going on it appeared the magazine follower just wasn't pushing the bolt catch up all the way. If I pushed the lever on the outside of the rifle down the follower would spring up when the catch lifted. If I then depressed the release lever it on the outside the lever inside would depress the magazine follower and stick there. Any ideas what might be happening and how to correct it?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about doing it manually? If you have an empty mag in it and pull back the charging handle, does the catch work then? I would suggest a little lubrication on the working of the bolt catch.

kalstrand

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before shooting it Saturday the bolt locked back normally. Now it doesn't lock even manually unless I actually push the bolt release lever down. It almost feels like the bolt tries to catch but moves over it when I move the bolt manually with the charging handle.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what ammo you shooting and i think Sig556's have a adjustable gas system might have got knocked out of wack. Also i have a friend that had to send his into Sig. They have great CS according to him

SB

kalstrand

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was shooting Remington UMC in the green and white box. It shouldn't be the gas system because it was simply not holding the bolt open on an empty magazine.

I decided to break it open again yesterday and look at the interal part of the bolt catch to see if it was broken or worn somehow. Before breaking it open I stuck in an empty mag and the bolt held open. I went ahead and opened it up to check it out while I could see and everything seemed to be working fine. This time the bolt catch didn't seem to stick on the follower and flipped up all the way when the magazine was inserted. The only think I can think of was that it did need lubed. When I cleaned it before putting it up I made sure to drop some lube on the point where it pivots in the receiver so maybe that cleared up my problem. I will have to try it out when I can get to the range and see if that fixed it or if some more investigation is warranted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom