Sig Mosquito Problems....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a Ruger SR-22 and liked it okay, but for me, the M&P .22 Compact, made by S&W and not the full size M&P .22 which is made by UMAREX, is the ticket.

Agree. The Ruger SR22 is a quality gun with two significant flaws:

(1) The manual thumb safety works backward from the 1911 and nearly all other guns. Up is FIRE, and down is SAFE. That's confusing. If you ever carry a 1911 or other manual-safetied gun for self-defense, I would never buy an SR22 because the backwards safety will mess up your muscle memory.

(2) It's a conventional DA/SA gun that can't be carried cocked-and-locked, and the initial double action trigger sucks. Creepy, unpredictable, heavy. The single action trigger for follow-up shots is fine, and the gun seems mechanically accurate, but I just couldn't manage that DA trigger accurately -- lot of first round flyers. And I am a revolver guy who tends to shoot DAOs well.

These two flaws ultimately led me to bypass the SR22 for the S&W M&P 22 Compact, and I remain happy with that choice. Good trainer and plinker. Made in USA.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My personal experience with an early production Mosquito was abysmal function with cheap bulk ammo and inconsistent function with CCI mini-mags. I recently contacted Sig and got a return shipping label and sent the Mosquito in for inspection and repair. The gunsmith inspected the barrel and replaced it. The gun seems to function more reliably with CCI mini-mags at this point. It took about two weeks round trip to get the gun back from Sig and cost $55 to cover the shipping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom