Sighting question, POI for different shooters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even among competent shooters, small variations from one person to the next in preferred sight picture/sight alignment with iron sights make a big difference at distance. Small differences in cheek weld/eye alignment with some scopes can significantly vary POI at distance due to parallax.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I teach my friends about parallax and show then while holding the unloaded rifle how to adjust it.
The hold on the gun does make a huge difference in POI. As mentioned.
Each person would need to hold just the same.

When i have people shooting for groups in a rifle I will tell them I loaded a round and then let them shoot the rifle.
In reality i did not load a round. You can watch them flinch.
They will feel their self flinch.

Now that that is out of the way i have them hold on target and have then realize what kind of hold they have is the rifle pulled up firm in the shoulder or is it left a bit loose to free recoil a bit.

I let them dry fire the rifle and at the same time keep the scope on the target and never look away from target while shooting.
This will teach them some trigger discipline.
Mention how to use a trigger.

It is an eye opener when shooting without ammo.
Especially if you make them realize the hold they have on the rifle.

I will also add to what was said about the lead sled.
I built one but it was not weighted and i noticed when i went hunting my POI was a little off.
HHHMMM testing was needed.
I tested in the sled and with front bag only and no bag and found front bag or no bag just me holding the gun would all POI to remain the same.

My guns are for hunting and i now seldom use the sled.
I do like to use it to hold the rifle steady when adjusting scope.
Bullet hits low and left 7" I stick rifle in sled and line cross hairs onto the area i was aiming then with the rifle really steady i adjust the turrets until the cross hairs are on the paper where the bullet made a hole.
Bam you should be right in the bullseye next shot.
U knew that though :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom