Single Six - Adding a Cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know how involved and how expensive it would be to add a .22lr cylinder to a Ruger Single Six? It's a New Model, and originally had both (I believe). Right now it only has the Mag cylinder. I know I can buy another cylinder for it, but don't they have to be somewhat timed/fitted to the particular revolver, or no? If it's a drop-in, then no biggie.

1big44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't guarantee it, but the way I remember it. Ruger will only sell you the cylinder if you ship the gun to them. I always figured this was to make sure the timing was correct. Like I said im not 100% certain, check with Ruger and let us know what they say.

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contact Ruger and tell them your LR cylinder is lost. As 1big44 stated, I'm sure you will have to send the gun to them, but I'll bet they won't charge you very much to fit a new cylinder.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow - called Ruger this morning, and it was much more than I thought it would be: they quoted me $150 for the cylinder and fitting. I sure hope she turns up the original, or it might be a permanent .22 mag! We'll see what happens.

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow - called Ruger this morning, and it was much more than I thought it would be: they quoted me $150 for the cylinder and fitting. I sure hope she turns up the original, or it might be a permanent .22 mag! We'll see what happens.

I'm a little surprised Ruger wants that much. By the time you add the cost of shipping you'll probably have over $200 in the new cylinder. Hope you find the original!

1big44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks for letting us know what they said. I was shocked at the price. Be hard to justify that, $150 can buy quite a few .22 mag ammo

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully the original will turn up; the woman I bought it from thinks it may still be around, and she's looking for it. Otherwise, I might be able to find one elsewhere and just have a gunsmith look things over to make sure it doesn't shave lead, etc.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger has always been crazy on repairs. Even when it was their fault.
Back in the 80's I knew a guy that bought a new m-77 rifle with the tang safety.
They had left a pile of sawdust in the tang area from final sanding.
When they tightened the screws it cracked the thin metal(thats why they eventually did away with them)
We sent it to Ruger for warranty since it was new.
They said screw you it will be $350 to fix it.
Dealer cost back then was only like $280
We got the gun back, heli-arced the crack, tossed it in the bluing tank and charged him like $25 He wrote Bill Ruger a big nasty letter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom