Single Six - Adding a Cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me I would just buy the replacement cylinder and give it a try. I'm thinking it would be fine and if it wasn't you could most likely have it sorted out by a 'smith for less than what Ruger quoted. It's basically a liability issue on their part and that's why they want you to send the whole mess into them for fitting.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me I would just buy the replacement cylinder and give it a try. I'm thinking it would be fine and if it wasn't you could most likely have it sorted out by a 'smith for less than what Ruger quoted. It's basically a liability issue on their part and that's why they want you to send the whole mess into them for fitting.

Kind of what I was thinking. The cylinder I found is less than half of what Ruger wants, but it's about .005" longer overall than the current cylinder I have. Seems like it wouldn't take much to remove about that much from the "nose" of the cylinder. Seems to me too long is better (and easier to fit) than too short, but I'm no expert on such things.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if the cylinder fits and it does not rub the barrel as it turns then you don't need to take any off, Just make sure it lines up perfectly and you are set.

If it shaves a little lead when it shoots then have it adjusted.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problem is, the cylinder is in Idaho. He gave me the overall length, which is .005" longer than what I have. It seems like you could take a little off of the front hub, and it should fit right up - but not sure.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got the "new" .22lr cylinder yesterday, and did some mild fitting this morning with one of mama's emery boards and some polishing cloth. Don't think I took much if any off, maybe .001" at the most. Cylinder drops in and drug just a bit before I did my polishing routine, now it's not too bad - just a little more drag than the stock .22wmr cylinder. Doesn't drag the barrel, and doesn't have much less gap than the mag cylinder has. Also seems to lock up just fine. Ran a cleaning rod/brush/swab down it to make sure things lined up, and then tried it out with some of those no-gunpowder Colibri rounds, and it shoots just fine. So I'm guessing all is well. I'll try it later with some "regular" .22lr and see how it does, but I'm thinking any drag it has now will "wear in", although I think it's probably good now. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom