SKS and Detachable Magazines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you recommend them if I wanted to keep the original wooden stock? I hear that the mags cause problems if it isn't a synthetic stock due to some random reasons.

Or should I stick to the box magazine and the strippers?

Singularis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me I'd leave it factory... regular old 10 round clips work great in them, and maintain the rifle's excellent reliability.

But on the subject of 922(r)... you know it doesn't penalize the possession of a gun in "illicit" configuration, right? Only the manufacture of one. In other words, in the extremely long shot chance that a Federal agent got a look at the innards of your Simonov and decided to prosecute you under that section, in order to pin it on you they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were the one who put it in that configuration. Also, they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the country of origin of the parts... neither is an easy row to hoe. It is probably for this reason that the section goes almost completely unprosecuted, except in the case of charge-stacking along with other, more easily-proved charges like illegal transfers and whatnot.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me I'd leave it factory... regular old 10 round clips work great in them, and maintain the rifle's excellent reliability.

But on the subject of 922(r)... you know it doesn't penalize the possession of a gun in "illicit" configuration, right? Only the manufacture of one. In other words, in the extremely long shot chance that a Federal agent got a look at the innards of your Simonov and decided to prosecute you under that section, in order to pin it on you they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were the one who put it in that configuration. Also, they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the country of origin of the parts... neither is an easy row to hoe. It is probably for this reason that the section goes almost completely unprosecuted, except in the case of charge-stacking along with other, more easily-proved charges like illegal transfers and whatnot.

So its technically illegal to put 20 round Tapco mags on an otherwise factory SKS? Why would that be? O.o

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the Tapco 20 Rd mags in a yugo with original stock configuration with no problems. I've actually never tried the stripper clips... As for the 922r regs Tapco has an explanation of it : http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

I am by no means an expert on it and someone else may have a better explanation but I think technically if you modify it at all then you can't have more than 10 imported parts on it. I still used mine with aftermarket mag at gun range but I don't think it was compliant.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother-in-law has the tapco mags for his wood stocked sks. They are a pain sometimes. They can be difficult to seat properly in the stock and about half the time you have to try 2 or 3 times to get the first round to feed. After you get it started though they work just fine. His is a yugo sks if that matters.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave it stock. Any detachable mags I have dealt with in the past were pains in the ass. Unless you had a Norinco Sporter that takes AK mags. Now That is the ticket.

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 2 yugos, 1 with tapco kit and 1 stock. Both worked great with tapco mag. The stock one was a little tight but if you're problem is width I'd just sand down the mag a little. I think they're a fun gun either way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom