SKS Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just can't bring myself to believe that a rifle you could buy, with a case of ammo, for $150 would be worth that much. I almost regret not keeping the one I owned for about five minutes during a round-robin trading session...

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, you could buy an SKS and a can of ammo for as little as $89 at one time.

But, I bought my first .22 rifle for $24 new back in the 50's. It's called inflation. Greed has something to do with it, too.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, you could buy an SKS and a can of ammo for as little as $89 at one time.

But, I bought my first .22 rifle for $24 new back in the 50's. It's called inflation. Greed has something to do with it, too.
Maybe that's why the car I bought new in '92 for $12K would cost me $24K today, huh? ;)

It's not about inflation, per se--I thought they were overpriced, even at those ridiculously low prices. I'm just glad that the prices on finer firearms haven't gone up that much; f'rinstance, the SIG I bought new in '92 still sells for about the same price now (the percentage of change is certainly much smaller, anyway).

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not meaning to be argumentative, but I've always thought there was an SKS mindset among most gunnies that the SKS was a "cheap" rifle because it was inexpensive. I think that is far from the truth. I can't even begin to tell you how many of them I've had over the years and I've never had one with a single mechanical failure (never owned a Yugo).

The only real engineering issues I'm aware of are the trigger design, which is a trigger-block rather than a hammer-block, and the firing pin design which is a floating pin rather than a spring-retained pin. And, the original Russian had a firing pin held back by a spring. Having said that, both these "flaws" are the result of wartime expediency.

Under slightly different circumstances, the SKS would probably have been a war weapon for the ages. I'm certainly glad our troops didn't have to face them in WWII.

I've seen discussions where it was pointed out that the cost to build an SKS today would be seriously high.

Every time I get on this subject, I'm reminded of the .22's my uncles owned (I have 2 of them today) right after WWII. 3 of my uncles bought Remington 241's (Browning design semi-auto). I don't remember exactly, but they paid somewhere around $30 each for them. Depending on condition, they run $250-$600 today. I think a person would be very surprised to field-strip a 241 and a current day Remington 597 and compare the products.

By the way P226 (you don't mind if I call you P226, I hope. Sooner sort of makes me ill - J/K), I think you're right in that inflation is not the real culprit here. I think current prices are sort of like the current .22 ammo pricing; it's a form of panic. On the other hand, where are you gonna find a weapon with all the capabilities of an SKS for $300?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just can't bring myself to believe that a rifle you could buy, with a case of ammo, for $150 would be worth that much. I almost regret not keeping the one I owned for about five minutes during a round-robin trading session...

Google old ads from the '50s, '60s, and even '70s on other surplus rifles that many covet today, and compare the then and now prices; they've all been there. Mosins are headed that way now. The reputation the SKS has been stuck with isn't deserved, and the Russian rifles I've handled have been very solid in fit and finish.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google old ads from the '50s, '60s, and even '70s on other surplus rifles that many covet today, and compare the then and now prices; they've all been there. Mosins are headed that way now. The reputation the SKS has been stuck with isn't deserved, and the Russian rifles I've handled have been very solid in fit and finish.
Oh, I'm well aware of the changes in price over time--price an original Colt Single Action Army; I'm pretty sure you can't touch a rusted-out relic for the $25 they cost new.

Of course, back then, $25 was about a month's wages for a working man, so I guess their current price could be considered a bargain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom