Skull Cleaning explained.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Redtape, regular brown bottle peroxide will work good. Just check on it in a couple days to so you don't get it too white for your liking.

It a horned skull?

Yeah a lot of people told me to get the strong peroxide from a beauty supply store, but I figured the regular brown bottles would let me whiten it just the way I wanted.

It was a horned doe (horns are approx. 2.5-3 inches). Those definitely took a little extra work to get them off, but it wasn't too bad.

Simmering worked pretty good. My dad caped out a doe skull from ML season and buried it in the garden to see how the bugs work.

ETA: Do you put any type of finish on them? I was thinking a thin coat of clear, Krylon spray might be a good idea. Never tried it though.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am getting busy! I gotta get alot of work done before opening day!

I have 3 white tails, an elk, hog, and a couple squirrels working right now. I'll post some pics as soon as the smell isn't bad enough to soak into my camera lens!

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told that you could bury the skull in the ground to get the same effect. Anyone heard of this or tried it?

I'm trying this right now. Buried a doe skull from ML season in the garden, we'll see how it works. I have no idea how long it will take though.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been quiet but I have been working!

Got 6 deer going, 1 elk, and 1 hog right now.

Finished up a few squirrel heads to give to one of my little cousins.

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_Skulls_front.jpg

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_Skulls_side.jpg

Then on the badger skull I had found (why it is missing teeth), I decided to try my hand on bronzing.

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_Skulls_bronze1.jpg

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_Skulls_bronzefinish.jpg

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
I used to skin mine and then boil them. Only boil them a couple of hours and take them to the car wash. If you boil them much longer, the bones will start to come apart. Now I bury them. You can bury them with the skin still on, but this year I skinned the head and have had it hanging on the fence. I will bury it soon and leave it til April or May. I like to wrap the antlers with aluminum foil to protect the color. Bury them with the antlers sticking out of the ground. If you need to put a barrier around them to keep the dogs out. I have found that burying them the bone will be more discolored, but will stay together better than boiling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom