Small game hunting near Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking to start hunting. My family had been big hunters and fishers (and poachers...), but my parents moved to Chicago before I was born so that sort of died out with my brother and me, though we both grew up shooting clays a lot. However, I got to go pheasant hunting with family over Christmas and now I'm hooked. I'm thinking of starting of with small game like rabbits and squirrels before moving up to "real game" like deer.

I have two questions:

1) What are some good WMAs for squirrel and rabbit near Tulsa?

and

2) I have a front-wheel-drive sedan. Will I be able to drive out to these places in that, or are the roads rough enough that I need to borrow a truck?

Also if anyone has some general advice on getting started that would be great.

Eventually I want to get into bird hunting, but right now I don't have the time or money to buy, raise and train a dog.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't live in the Tulsa area, but the Keystone WMA has more free public land than a person can walk out in a lifetime. Its along the arkansas river way into Osage county, so all types of small game will be there.
Just because you don't have a dog, I wouldn't give up on bird hunting. Over the years before having a dog, I've killed many hundreds of birds by just walking them up, picking out a single, and watching where the rest land. Pick up the down bird, and go after the rest.
Check with http://wildlifedepartment.com/. They have an interactive map with layers that will outline the wma's, as well as a great atlas for not much money that one can take in the vehicle with them. I know in this day and time a paper map is something of the past, but deep in Osage county the iphone gps, etc doesn't work. No towers.
The majority of the roads in the Keystone WMA that I've been on are easily accessable by front wheel sedan unless it gets wet.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
along main waterways like the Arkansas River, the right of way is owned/controlled by Corp of Engineers.

this is public lands that stretch for miles on end. it may not be very wide or easily accessible. but it's there if you bother to take the time to find access points.

be sure and find out what guns are allowed... typically shotgun limited.
here's another thread with more info
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28441

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't live in the Tulsa area, but the Keystone WMA has more free public land than a person can walk out in a lifetime. Its along the arkansas river way into Osage county, so all types of small game will be there.
Just because you don't have a dog, I wouldn't give up on bird hunting. Over the years before having a dog, I've killed many hundreds of birds by just walking them up, picking out a single, and watching where the rest land. Pick up the down bird, and go after the rest.
Check with http://wildlifedepartment.com/. They have an interactive map with layers that will outline the wma's, as well as a great atlas for not much money that one can take in the vehicle with them. I know in this day and time a paper map is something of the past, but deep in Osage county the iphone gps, etc doesn't work. No towers.
The majority of the roads in the Keystone WMA that I've been on are easily accessable by front wheel sedan unless it gets wet.

Thanks for the advice.

Looking at the WMA maps and descriptions, I think I'll have to check out both Keystone and Fort Gibson. I can use squirrel/rabbit hunting as an opportunity to scout out quail habitat too.

I'm really wishing my grandpa had taught me more about hunting other than "how to shoot over your limit without getting caught."

Latest posts

Top Bottom