Small Pistol Magnum Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dongkeeekong

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been scouring the web for the last week trying to find some info and thought I would ask here.

Just getting into reloading and had a question about using SPM primers in 9mm.

My current work up is:
-Tula SPP
-124gr RN
-7.9gr AA#7
-OAL 1.150
-Heavy crimp (one fully turn on the lee factory crimp die)
-Mixed cases

My question is do Tula SPM burn hotter than SPP? Can't find a definite answer and keep reading that some manufacturers only differ the cup thickness, not burn.

The reason I ask is that I get flakes of un-burnt powder all over the inside of my pistol. I'm hoping a magnum primer will facilitate a more complete burn and a cleaner round. BUT, I also read that a magnum primer can cause the bullet to unseat prematurely and cause powder to exit the case before it has a chance to ignite (2 pressure peaks). This was my reasoning for putting a heavy crimp.

Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about tula mag primers being hotter than standard, the only way to tell is to shoot them side by side for comparison with
no other changes in the load or gun while using a good chronograph.
I do know that American made mag primers are hotter than standard but are only needed when the choice of powder calls for it
as in H110 , 296 or H4227 and a few others.
ACC #7 needs a little pressure to burn cleanly so up the charge .2-.3 in .1 steps to see if it burns cleaner. If you go to a mag primer, tula
or other then just change that without upping the powder charge, if it doesn't help then up the charge a little.
Also back off on the crimp, that Lee crimp die may be distorting the bullet making for less crimp than you think you have.
For this test sort the brass and use only one make, check OAL it needs to be about the same on all cases used, makes for a more
uniform crimp.

dongkeeekong

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Jake, thanks for the input.

I'm a bit hesitant to up the charge any more. Recoil is about as much as I'd like as my wife will also be shooting this round.

Guess its going to take some more experimenting...

Latest posts

Top Bottom