Smith and Wesson model 52 . ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one, it is a great, very accurate shooter. It is not forgiving with technique, however, and to get the most out of it you need to follow through with the shot. Long barrel combined with a slow velocity makes it a challenge, but it is ridiculously accurate with a good load.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a couple of downsides to the 52. Some of the earlier models were prone to breakage on the extractor if I remember right, and parts are both difficult to find and pricey. Spare magazines are astronomical when you find them. Try to find a 52-2 instead of a 52 or 52-1. Also make sure you buy one with at least a couple of magazines. I hear stories about ringed barrels from handloaders trying to make a mess of the wadcutters, either sticking a bullet and punching another through, or overloading the wadcutter and leaving the skirt of the bullet as an obstruction. I have never seen any of that personally, but I am told to look out for that when buying one.

Also, they are a handloading only option, really. I haven't seen wadcutters in a store in an age, and the 52 can be picky on ammo.

That said, my 52 has the one of the nicest triggers ever and a joy to shoot.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I remember the pleasure of firing five rounds out of the S&W model 52 semi auto pistol that someone handed me back in the late 1970’s, it seemed magically accurate at fifty feet on a bullseye target. At Riley and Kelley Gilmore’s 11th Street indoor pistol range. Tulsa Firearms Training (Center? Academy?) Had no idea before that any auto pistol could feed full wad cutters. I was led to believe that this model was used to compete in the NRA Bullseye Pistol matches, fired one handed at 25 & 50 yard distances. Slow and rapid fire stages. Ten shot groups/strings.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for your input, I have read much of the same comments and warnings . Difenatly not for everyone . I have a model 15 , 3 'Ts and load wadcutters for it . I shot a friend's 52 , trigger was probably 3 lbs or less , action was super smooth . Yes it is outdated but there is something about blued steel and checkered wood grips

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a shame that Smith and Wesson won't, or can't, make them any more. They would be prohibitively expensive to make today, I'm not sure they even could to the same quality as the old ones. Furthermore, Bullseye competition which drove their design and market has shrunk considerably, which is sad because as opposed to run and gun shooting, it is pure precision, which I feel a bunch of our current shooting generation could use a bit more of.. As it is, the market for a 5 shot, wadcutter only, full size semi-auto target pistol just doesn't exist. Only us lunatics, luddites and old school shooters would want something like that.

One of the biggest killers of the 52 in Bullseye competition, even at their peak, is that .38 is at an inherent disadvantage over .45, simply due to the size of the hole they punch in the paper. Furthermore, if you shot DCM matches, you probably shot a 1911 anyway, and it was easier to just shoot 1911s all the time.

All that said, I am glad they still have a cult following and people still appreciate them because they are brilliant at what they do. Good luck on your search, let us know what you find!

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well count me in as both a lunatic and a luddite . I was able to purchase a S & W 52 -2 with 2 mags . Original owner said he may have put 50 rounds thru it . Quick picture shows target shot at 10 yards . To say I am pleased , is a understatement

Attachments

• 20211015_195125.jpg
    20211015_195125.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 40