Smith & Wesson Model 43 C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not the Model 43 C, but is very similar in appearance.
www.imfdb.org_images_thumb_4_4a_S_26WM40.jpg_800px_S_26WM40.jpg

About a week ago, I had my LGS put a new Model 43 C aside for me and last Friday, I picked it up, using my oil royalty check to pay for it.

The 43C is an eight-shot revolver in 22 Long Rifle made of either magnesium or aluminum alloy and the first thing I noticed when I picked it up was the weight, which was almost nothing. According to the S&W website, it weighs in at 11 ounces. Mine also sports Spegel-style boot grips.

The second thing I took note of was that there is no--repeat NO--Hillary hole. The internal lock is gone!! To be truthful, however, my understanding is that most, in fact, almost all, of the IL failures have been on Scandium framed magnum revolvers with full charge loads, so for me, they have never really been an issue. That said, I don't particularly like them, as the potential for unintended engagement is always there.

Today, I took the little S&W out to my range and gave it a workout. The light weight, and the almost total lack of recoil in the rounds made the gun very pleasant to shoot and with the short barrel, combined with the light weight should make this gun a joy to carry in a pocket of the vest that a friend gave me.

This gun is intended for very close range work, and here it should serve admirably. As a BUG, it would be a good choice for some. Granted, the 22 LR is not a power-house, but it is cheap to shoot and this lack of expense will perhaps encourage some to practice. I think it will make it easier for me to do so.

It won't replace my K-, L-, and N-frames in more traditional (more powerful) calibers, but, like my 32's, it has its' niche and in this niche, it will serve quite well, as I can hide it in my hand and be ready to shoot with no one being the wiser. Plus, it won't frighten the sheep if I hide it in my hand, which is something that I can't do with my other, larger revolvers.

This is one 2" that I'd carry.

Plus, it is a lot of fun to shoot.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice indeed!! As to why they are called 'kit guns', the impression that I have was that they were very often found in the tackle boxes and tool kits of fishermen, and the name just stuck. However, I freely admit that I am not certain about that.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They were called Kit Guns because,,,
S&W marketed them as a gun for your camping "Kit".

I won't get into whether .22 is a good defense round,,,
But when I throw mine in my jacket pocket,,,
It's loaded with the hottest ammo I own,,,
Usually those nasty little CCI Stingers.

A triple-tap of those should do it,,,
And you still have five more in reserve.

If I ever see one used I would consider buying it,,,
I have no need for it but it would be fun to own.

Aarond

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really liking that 43c...I like Centennial Model S&W J frames a lot. Now that Nickel-Plated-Sissy-Pistol Jimmy has is another story...

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jimmy I feel bad for ya man. Stuck with that thing....hell brother, I'll come give you a $100 so it's not a total loss and nobody has to know you got stuck with that ugly model 34-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom