so where can one carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like it would be pointless to get a ccw permit. You cannot take it with you anywhere yet criminals take it wherever they wish leaving the law abiding public defenseless. So I read where it cannot be carried. Where can it? I walk at a park near my house everyday. Is that off limits?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2009.pdf
UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative members, or any other elected or appointed officials;
3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons, prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;
4. Any elementary or secondary school, or technology center school property;
5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

brettlt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have concealed carry permit and I carry everyday. I do not understand why you would say that it is pointless. Very few retail establishments in OK do not allow you to carry. Manufacturing facilities tend to ban carry.

Specifically, at the park it is legal, but you cannot enter a building in a park. A lot of parks do not even have buildings, so it is not a huge deal. However, it is a pain that technically you cannot go to the bathroom in a park while carrying.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like it would be pointless to get a ccw permit. You cannot take it with you anywhere yet criminals take it wherever they wish leaving the law abiding public defenseless. So I read where it cannot be carried. Where can it? I walk at a park near my house everyday. Is that off limits?

Without a permit 100% of the places you go are off limits. With a permit only the listed places are off limits. I understand you don't like the limits that have been imposed but this state is better than most. If you don't like it you can always move. I lived in California for a short time and while there I obeyed the laws of that state. I did not like those laws and so I moved to where the laws were more to my line of thinking. If you find utopia let me know I would like to go there as well as most of the people here. But then it wouldn't be utopia anymore then would it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you read what rawhide posted, you'll see that it leaves a whole wide world where you can carry besides those places that are prohibited. Take the class and you'll have all the information necessary to correctly choose when and where to carry.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
brettlt said:
Specifically, at the park it is legal, but you cannot enter a building in a park. A lot of parks do not even have buildings, so it is not a huge deal. However, it is a pain that technically you cannot go to the bathroom in a park while carrying.
As I understand it, you can't carry into buildings where the government does business with citizens. Brings a whole new meaning to "does business" if you're right.

Armedmomma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry every single day. There are very few places that I go without carrying.
Fewer and fewer places seem to have the gunbuster signs posted, and those that do..I just don't do business with.

Obviously, if I am going to leave my vehicle while dropping kids at school, then I'll have to either leave it at home or park off school property. That's the main inconvenience I encounter. Thankfully I usually just pull up, drop off, drive off to work!

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry every single day. There are very few places that I go without carrying.
Fewer and fewer places seem to have the gunbuster signs posted, and those that do..I just don't do business with.

Obviously, if I am going to leave my vehicle while dropping kids at school, then I'll have to either leave it at home or park off school property. That's the main inconvenience I encounter. Thankfully I usually just pull up, drop off, drive off to work!

Actually, I believe you can have the gun on you while you drop the kids off, but you aren't allowed to exit the vehicle. You just can't leave a gun in the car alone or have it on you if you get out. So if you plan on getting out of the car, leave the gun at home I guess. I don't know if you could have it unloaded and locked up in the car, but I'm pretty sure you can't leave any gun regardless of condition in the car without you being in it on school grounds.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm from California and while I had a permit there as well as in Iowa where I moved from Cali to,I never feel as free and protected in those other 2 states as I do in Oklahoma where I live at more of the year and where Ive got my permit now. If you can,you should get it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom