solar battery charger question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought a 12v solar panel for rechargeable batteries not thinking that i will probably use 6v batteries. Will that still work or will I need to get 6v panels? I don't mind using 12v batteries, but not sure if they will fit in my feeders.

BTW Boss Buck has these chargers on their website for 19.95 (usually 35.00.)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a long term solar panel/external battery system for my cellular cameras, and you absolutely don't want to use a 12v charger with a 6v device. American Hunter makes some really nice 6v solar panels for under $15, and I'm paring one of those with a 6v 42aH battery that according to the camera manufacturer should run the camera "indefinitely". We'll see.....:screwy:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you know electronics (or someone who does), a voltage regulator circuit can be made with just a few components, or even one that limits both voltage and current. I doubt the panel puts out much current anyway.

Just adding a gorilla resistor is iffy at best, because solar panel output will vary with time of day and cloud cover, and a set resistor value won't allow for that.

Just a thought. :drunk2:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A regulator circuit is actually really simple to build. I have a pumpkin that I use as a halloween gag I built. It has a big red arcade button for a nose and two 12v horns inside. A 12v battery powers the horns and then a regulator circuit cuts the 12v to 5v to power the electronics. Push the button and the flashing led lights in each eye stop and get really dim, it then steadily gets brighter over 5 seconds and then ten random things can happen with the horns to scare the crud out of the person who couldn't keep their hand off my big red button.

Here is a simple 12v to 6v regulator if you really want to just keep the 12v panel. Otherwise just hook it up to your vehicle and have a solar powered trickle charger. http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/6-12V/6-12-6.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom