Thoughts needed on cordless tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With lithium ion batteries and storage, it's optimal to run them down to under 40% charge then recharge them to about 60% and store then store them like that. Don't try to charge one that at freezing or below, it'll damage it. Same goes for LifeP04 batts which I don't think are used in portable tools yet.

OP you will probably need a new charger for the lithium batteries, but I'd swap them to your tools too vs. buying all new tools. Lithium batteries are a huge step up in all ways from NICad and NIMH batteries.
We have gone 100% rechargable batteries like AAA, AA and so on. The chargers for Lithium will not accept a Nicad or NIMH battery for charging. Each takes their own charger.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have gone 100% rechargable batteries like AAA, AA and so on. The chargers for Lithium will not accept a Nicad or NIMH battery for charging. Each takes their own charger.
Yep. I have a pile of Eneloop batts for household use. They are NiMH and work well enough, but lithium they are not.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And it works good? Batteries react/discharge same?
I'm running the same drill with the adapter and 20v batteries, no issues. To be fair though I only break that drill out when I need a bigger drill or hammer drill. I use the 12v drill for 90+% of what I do. I have the adapters on the jigsaw, reciprocating saw, impact, vacuum, angle grinder, and circular saw. All have functioned fine, the angle grinder sees the most use, no issues with it at all. I have a split of DeWalt adapters and Chinese knock offs. The DeWalt's go in and out fine, the knock offs don't so they all are dedicated.

The adapters also let the 18v kids "hang out" with the cool 20v kids...

IMG_9702.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running the same drill with the adapter and 20v batteries, no issues. To be fair though I only break that drill out when I need a bigger drill or hammer drill. I use the 12v drill for 90+% of what I do. I have the adapters on the jigsaw, reciprocating saw, impact, vacuum, angle grinder, and circular saw. All have functioned fine, the angle grinder sees the most use, no issues with it at all. I have a split of DeWalt adapters and Chinese knock offs. The DeWalt's go in and out fine, the knock offs don't so they all are dedicated.

The adapters also let the 18v kids "hang out" with the cool 20v kids...

View attachment 454856

How’d you hang them like that?

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the more economical Kobalt. My main objective was the smaller saws-all with some stainless blades for deer processing in the field. Have added the small blower to take with the RV for blowing off awning etc. and the regular Leaf blower that is much lighter than my stihl so my wife can use.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with Kobalt because I just needed tools to do stuff around the house so the more expensive options didn't make much sense to me. I've been very happy with them. I have their impact driver, drill, recipricating saw, 1/2" impact gun, circular saw, string trimmer, leaf blower, oscillating multi tool, and air hammer.

Everything has been great excpet the string trimmer, which sucks the battery pretty quick and bogs down pretty easily. I haven't used the oscillating tool yet. The impact driver is fantastic and the impact gun knocks the lug nuts off my Transit (150 ft lb) like butter. I used most of the tools when I helped my father in-law do a complete gut and remodel on their house and everything has held up well except the recip saw, but I've beat the hell out of it. The saw itself still works fine, but it's now a pain in the butt to switch blades since the clamp is worn out.

My next tool purchase will most likely be their cordless chainsaw. By all reviews it is a handy little saw that gets well over 100 cuts out of a 4AH battery. I'd buy everything again except for the string trimmer, nothing beats gas for that application in my opinion.
I with you. I bought the Kobalt and I'm really happy with all of it except the trimmer. I got it for my wife, I have a gas trimmer. My wife didn't have the trimmer long before she sold it. I keep most of mine locked up. I don't have an inch of extra wall space for one of those special storage shelves.
DSCF6610.JPG

Last edited:

Okie_dave

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had Dewalt for years but the 18V did not last long enough so I changed to 20V. After the Fathers Day winds in Tulsa, I bought a Dewalt small chain saw and pole saw without batteries. I could not pull the trigger on the larger expensive Dewalt batteries so I ordered 2 20V 6AH Dewalt from Amazon. Two months later I get an email from Amazon that they were refunding my money as they were not Dewalt. They look like Dewalt and have the Dewalt logo. So I got free knock offs and so far they have worked great.

I have an 18V to 20V converter if anyone wants it. I think it is Dewalt but I got it from Amazon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom