Son in laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
My FIL is a major Douche if that counts for anything. He is a VP for the corp. he works for and loves showing off how much money he has. My wife and I have been married for 2 years together for 6. I have never been in his house or had a actual conversation with the man. His idea of show his love to my stepdaughters is to buy them anything and everything they want. My stepdaughters are 12 and 8 they both have Ipads, Ipod Touchs, Iphones, LapTops, Flat Screen TVs, Wii's, XBox 360's. Thats is one for each of them they dont share. This is just an example of the stuff he buys them. He spends an average of $1500 a piece for Christmas. It pisses me off and my wife wont tell him to stop. I understand he wants to by them some nice things but he goes way to far and they are going to expect this kind of stuff for the rest of their lives. My wife doesnt see anything wrong with it

If your wife turned out fine (which I assume you feel she has since you married her) I would assume your stepdaughters will turn out fine as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
He didnt start making money like that until she was out of the house and wasn't raised anything like that.

That kinda changes things. I have an uncle that owns a successful company and while my brother and myself were growing up we would get more from my aunt and uncle's house than we would from our parents. The Christmas' are so big at his house, they have a room dedicated to nothing but the tree and gifts. I can say that out of my three cousins, two turned out to be very hard workers and live well below their means, while another has taken the "you owe me" approach in life and has been through 3 marriages and continues to struggle.

I guess it will be a "crap shoot" as to how your stepdaughters mature through the years. But it isn't a lost cause. You still have the ability to help shape their lives and teach them the value of hard work. Not every rich kid or grandchild turns out bad. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom