Special Hog Season for Fort Sill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is an article from this weeks issue of the Cannoneer, the Fort Sill paper. It gives the details of Fort Sill's Special hog season.

WILD SIDE by Glen Wampler

As all the other hunting seasons begin to wind down,we start to think about ways to chase a hog or two. Our main reason for holding a special hog season this time of year is to help control those pesky things. It wasn’t all that long ago that you couldn’t find a hog on Fort Sill. Now, there are hog
signs on all ranges and in every hunting area. During 2009, between hunters and the effort here in the office, we removed 1,265 hogs from Fort Sill.
Can you imagine how many of those porkers would be running around
without our efforts? Without any control, some negative effects can include
soil erosion, consumption of native seed crops, hog competition with native
wildlife for food, cover, water and space.

Hog hunts
Starting last weekend, we are running hog hunts much like we ran the weekend hunts last summer. Specific areas to hunt will be designated each weekend based on military training and other recreational use. An example would be that we allow hog hunting on Quanah range on a Saturday and Sunday. Quanah Range would be off limits to anglers and other recreationalists. That still leaves lots of places to fish on the rest of the ranges, yet we get rid of a few of the pesty pigs
while letting hunters have a little fun. Another weekend we might have hog hunters in the B areas and anglers and other recreationalists could have the rest of the ranges.

Body count
Be sure that you report all feral hogs taken to
Sportsmen Services so we can have a record of the number taken! The bag limit will be unlimited hogs of either-sex with no size restrictions and you can
expect them to run from little bitty to 300-pound boars with an attitude. Most will average a dressed weight of about 70 to 150 pounds.

Weapons
Legal weapons for this hunt will be shotguns, 20 gauge or larger, firing a single
slug (that means no buckshot). Also, muzzleloading firearms propelled by black powder, pyrodex or an equivalent that are fired by flintlock, shotgun primer or primitive percussion cap are permitted. Weapons must use a single solid slug or ball of .40 caliber or larger. Sabot or sabot-like carriers are allowed. Black powder firearms loaded from the breech are illegal. Muzzle
loading smoothbore muskets are permitted. A legal bow for hog hunting is any bow of 40 pounds or more draw weight. Legal arrows must have broadhead hunting type points not less than 7/8-inch wide and not less than 1 ½ inches
long. There will be no rifles or pistols allowed. Also there will be no hunting
allowed in areas where troops are shown to be in the area on the overlay, whether marked blue or red.We want this to be a safe season and also don’t want to disturb any training.

FAQs
Let me answer some of the common questions asked concerning this hunt.
Can I shoot a hog that has a radio telemetry harness on it? No, but if you do by accident go ahead and bring it in.We don’t want them shot because they help us in our efforts to control numbers. We do, however, understand
that it would be very easy to shoot a hog without seeing the harness. In other words try not to, but you won’t get a ticket or reprimand if you
do. Is baiting for the hogs going to be allowed? No. Baiting is not allowed for
any season on Fort Sill and this remains true for this one. Definitions of “baiting areas” are the same as used in the State of Oklahoma turkey hunting regulations. Do we have to wear blaze orange since this isn’t deer
season. Yes! This is for the safety of all concerned because of the type of
weapons being used. As always, this ought to be a great time to be outdoors and in many cases a new experience for a lot of folks. We’re counting on our hunters to treat this as all other seasons and make it a safe one.

Safety class
Remember that if you want to fish, pick berries, hike or do any other recreation on the range you must have a pass from Sportsmen Services and before you get a pass you must be able to show proof of taking the Fort Sill Sportsmen Safety Class.You are also required to have this class before
buying your Fort Sill hunting or fishing permits for 2010. The next chance for anyone who needs to take the Fort Sill Sportsmen Safety Class is Monday at 6 p.m. in the Natural Resources classroom. There is another class Feb. 8.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can just see the General briefing CNN or Fox News and showing UAV video footage of a group of pigs being turned into sausage by a GPS guided rocket.

"As you can clearly see in the following video, we have taken out the target with surgical precision....."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With hogs being pretty much nocturnal, I'm betting it would take a group of hunters to drive them out of some canyons to waiting shooters. Similar to a deer drive.

Caliyanks

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been out a few times this year with a friend. Last weekend we took the wifes. Hadn't seen any hogs at all. Plenty of signs. The Article didn't mention .22 rifles. But I asked while their and was told that my S&W M&P 22 with 25 rd Mag is OK to use. I'll have to ask again. Especially since I've taken it on base 4 times with it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been out a few times this year with a friend. Last weekend we took the wifes. Hadn't seen any hogs at all. Plenty of signs. The Article didn't mention .22 rifles. But I asked while their and was told that my S&W M&P 22 with 25 rd Mag is OK to use. I'll have to ask again. Especially since I've taken it on base 4 times with it.
Be careful!

Latest posts

Top Bottom