Spiro Mounds, Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I met up with OSA'er OKjoe today (great guy) and got to talking with him about Spiro Mounds and promised him that I would share a photo that I took Thursday.

Many of you are probably familiar with Spiro Mounds. They are located near the town of Spiro in eastern Oklahoma. They are considered one of the most important archaeological sites in North America and have been compared to "King Tut's tomb". At their zenith, they were inhabited by the mound-builders known as the Southern Death Cult (for PC reasons we are now supposed to refer to them as the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex). The mounds were a treasure trove of fantastic artifacts, most of them were made from materials that weren't indigenous to our area.

If you want to find out more about Spiro, I encourage you to go to spiromound.com. You will also see a link there to purchase the book "The Spiro Mound: a photo essay". The author is a good friend of mine and an OSA member as well.

The relics in this collage are very important pieces. Many of them have never been put on public display before...and they're worth far more than I am. Some of the items include: a copper-bitted woodpecker axe, engraved shell ladle, freshwater pearl beads, stone pipes, beads made from shell, earspools, human effigy miniature masks, and so forth.

[Broken External Image]

fordguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a real interesting place. we always learned about the land run, the 5 civilized tribes and so on.
This makes you wonder what was going on here way before all of that.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My daughters history book last year had a pretty lengthy section on the Hopewell Indians in Ohio and their mounds. Similar to the Spiro mounds and for the same purposes? I've not ever visited either site.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughters history book last year had a pretty lengthy section on the Hopewell Indians in Ohio and their mounds. Similar to the Spiro mounds and for the same purposes? I've not ever visited either site.

Hopewell were a bit earlier (1800-2200 years ago). The Hopewell influence sphere was pretty widespread and reached all of the way from Ohio to central Oklahoma. Hopewell were an intriguing people, incredible artisans.

OKjoe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Magnificent photograph, Matt. Thank you for posting it. It was a pleasure meeting you. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation yesterday. Simply fascinating stuff. Jan and I are looking forward to a short road trip to visit the museum in Bentonville.

Latest posts

Top Bottom