Sprung for a new AR today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I purchased a FNAR .308 with the 20” heavy barrel. While It was okay the trigger was not something that made me very happy and I couldn’t find a way to make it like I wanted. I never seemed to be able to get it group consistently below 1” to 1.5”as opposed to my Armalite AR-10T that gives me consistent .5 MOA groups with 168 grain A-Max bullets. This Tuesday I walked into the Yellow Rose a local range and gun shop ran by a friend of mine and there was a Windham .308 Hunter with the wooden laminate nutmeg stock. There was something about it that turned me on and yesterday I dropped off my FNAR to see if I could get any nibbles on it so I could make room for the Windham rifle. Well 3 hours later I got a call and it sold for what I had asked. I expected it to set on his shelf for two or three weeks so I was pretty tickled. I had some time so I wandered down to the shop to pick up the rifle. I've been working most of the evening on it getting it like I want it. I tried to get the trigger down to a reasonable weight the way I usually do by running a ¼”X28 tap up in the grip mounting hole and putting a 1/4 “ allen set screw to reduce the length of pull on the trigger however by doing that and putting lighter springs I still couldn’t bring the trigger pull down below 6 lbs. So in the long run I ended up putting a 1.5 lb Jard trigger in it and mounted a Burris XTR 3-12X50 Extreme Tactical scope on it that I originally had on the FN. Tomorrow I get to shoot it. Hope she shoots under an inch with my usual loads but if not I'll take the time to work some up.

uploading images

images hosting

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you like it... wood furniture is not for me on an AR, but hey, it's your rifle and you like it so more power to ya. Congrats and good luck with the shootin'!

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm very surprised at how accurate it is. With the forearm not being free floated I really didn't expect anything better than 1 or 1.5 MOA. However this past weekend we had My wife, son, daughter, son in law and 13 year old son up at my place shooting a gong at 300 yards. I was well pleased when it out shot my son in laws FN .308 with the Winchester action 24" barrel and Hogue over molded stock. We had groups a little under 2 inches and my son shot a 3 shot group with the bullets almost touching, then he got a big head and his group expanded to around 2 inches. He did however call his shots when he pulled it. We also were not shooting off a bench but shooting out of the window of one of my hunting sheds. So I'm tickled pink, the FNAR I sold to fund it was not even close to what the fellers at Windham are putting out. When I purchased my second AR-15 after I sold my Colt SP-1 because it wouldn't group under about 2.5 inches I purchased a Bushmaster Varminter that groups .285" with my reloads. It's now close to 15 years old. I don't think the modern Bushmaster puts the same quality in their rifles nowadays.

upload image online

Latest posts

Top Bottom