Starting Reloading - First Bullet Seating Depth Test Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe when we are talking about reloading we should clarify what discipline. Are you/we loading for plinking, hunting, long range hunting/PRS, bench rest, King of the 2 mile …..? If someone is loading for plinking, accuracy may be a pleasant byproduct. If you're loading for hunting maybe you want a load that will hopefully shoot 1 to 2 moa at distances out to maybe 300 yards. If you're a long range hunter/PRS shooter you would probably like to have 1/2 to 1 moa out to and beyond 1000 yards. If you're a bench shooter, the groups are never tight enough at the distance you compete at. King of the 2 mile, I'm sure they would like bench rest accuracy at each distance shot and one hell of a wind coach beside them. Ask yourself, what's your level of OCD and have at it, but remember bench rest accuracy generally doesn't happen through a factory barrel.

Hopefully we can see the differences here? Out of all of these, bench rest is loading for generally one known distance. Everyone else is loading for a host of distances whereby accuracy needs to be sufficient at that time for that particular distance and discipline. I'm sure most bench rest shooters tune/gather data on their loads at what, 600 and 1000 yards? Long range hunters/PRS shooters generally zero at 100 yards and gather data at all different ranges and if the load falls apart, they start over or tweak one thing at a time. The hunter zero's at 100 or 200 yards and calls it good if it's 1 to 2 moa. The plinker is happy it went bang and didn't blow anything up.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a difference in dies for sure. I have seen the difference in runout between Lee Dies and Forster Micrometer bullet seaters. Its for sure there but I also know you can make some amazing ammo with good dies even in a progressive press. I have seen it and done it. Your having fun and experimenting. There are so many ways to end up at a good group. You could give the same gun to 5 people in this thread 3 may end up on the same powder but everything else from them would probably be different. One gun could have multiple good rounds. There are certain powders and bullets that generally do well for certain calibers. I would say load up 25 of your best round you think you have and go shoot them. Shoot 5 groups of 5 just to work on your shooting. Also if your building a load 3 shots will normally tell you if its worth messing with. I started off shooting 5 shots and personally think I was wasting money. If a group sucks at 3 shots why shoot 2 more? If it holds together at 3 then you can shoot 10 then next time to really see if you have something. At the end of the day, just go shoot more and enjoy it. Also unless your trying to go 1k don't get caught up in speed. I find most of my guns will have a good round at lower powder ranges just like at max. Why pay more to shoot a few hundred yards and wear out your gear and brass faster.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing to consider with all the above comments taken into consideration is that if your a hunter, you want that first cold bore shot to be at the point of aim. You could care less about shot 2, 3 or whatever basically.
It takes a day at the range to take one shot, remove the bolt or open the action to let the bore cool to ambient temperatures and take the next shot while shooting other rifles.
If your closest shot is 100 yards or under, it's not a big deal, but it your into 400 + that first shot is a big deal.
If your just paper punching, fire one shot to warm up the barrel and go for groups.

Latest posts

Top Bottom