Steel or aluminum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I was giving my Winchester 94AE a good ol' CLP rubdown last night. While doing so, I was looking it over with a flashlight...yeah, I do that. :rolleyes2

Anyway...

I noticed that the rifle's barrel had a different color than the magazine tube did. Now I've seen and owned enough Airweights to kinda recognize aluminum when I see it. Or at least, I thought I did. :scratch:

So...since this carbine is a "newer" production rifle (1994) is this Winchester's mag tube made of aluminum or steel? :anyone:

I'm sure the older ones used a steel mag tube...right?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of the Winchester, I got a couple boxes of these in the mail just the other day...

asite.glensarmynavystore.com_gunbroker_3030001.jpg

asite.glensarmynavystore.com_gunbroker_3030002.jpg

I found a company that had 'em for around $22 a box. I bought one box for loading and one for "just 'cause." Being nickel cased, I figured they would be better than brass cartridges in my Galco butt cuff. You know...leather and brass together make GREEN. :disappoin

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Different hardness of the steels is my opinion. I notice the same thing looking at some of the Ruger revolvers and my S&W 22-4. The barrel and some other parts appear slightly different colors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom