Step 1: Don't Go To War With Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They did, and they did.

After secession they were forcefully re-united along with several other southern states, and that clause, along with the ability to divide into 5 states went to the ash heap.

The next secession will have the same results. Federal troops will mobilize in about 5 minutes after declaration.
The Union could not allow Pantex Nuclear weapons plant to fall into ANY other government's control.

Loss of 50% of the nations refining capacity, 90% of the petrochemical productions, and a major sea port would cripple the rest of the states.

I would love to see it, but I wouldn't love the war that would result from it.

You forgot the part where Uncle Sam would have to borrow trillions to finance said war. You also forgot to mention the fact that the American public has either lost their stomach for the type of real war that would be necessary for the U.S. to ensure a quick victory or that modern technology has simply allowed less of an escape from the hellishness. I'm not saying that Texas could win such a hypothetical war, but they just may be able to pull it off. After all, they don't need to "win" per se, but only need to hold off until America loses its will to fight. If they were going to do something like secede (which they aren't) now would be the perfect time. They'd start off with a better credit rating, more valuable currency, and an economy with a sounder foundation than their foe. They'd also do it at a time when their adversary's military was already stretched dangerously thin around the world.

Given, the whole discussion is a tin foil hat fantasy, but I wouldn't automatically assume that the U.S. would be smashingly successful if a conflict were to ensue. Heck, the writers of the linked article may just be on to something by saying that the rest of the U.S. may simply shrug their shoulders at the departure of a conservative state.

bmwguy25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You forgot the part where Uncle Sam would have to borrow trillions to finance said war. You also forgot to mention the fact that the American public has either lost their stomach for the type of real war that would be necessary for the U.S. to ensure a quick victory or that modern technology has simply allowed less of an escape from the hellishness. I'm not saying that Texas could win such a hypothetical war, but they just may be able to pull it off. After all, they don't need to "win" per se, but only need to hold off until America loses its will to fight. If they were going to do something like secede (which they aren't) now would be the perfect time. They'd start off with a better credit rating, more valuable currency, and an economy with a sounder foundation than their foe. They'd also do it at a time when their adversary's military was already stretched dangerously thin around the world.

Given, the whole discussion is a tin foil hat fantasy, but I wouldn't automatically assume that the U.S. would be smashingly successful if a conflict were to ensue. Heck, the writers of the linked article may just be on to something by saying that the rest of the U.S. may simply shrug their shoulders at the departure of a conservative state.
You also have to take into account of getting said us militants to fight against their brothers and sisters..... I think if it came down to it a lot of them wouldn't kill their own...

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You also have to take into account of getting said us militants to fight against their brothers and sisters..... I think if it came down to it a lot of them wouldn't kill their own...

If it ever came to secession and a "war," it's be a cold war, a la USSR/North Korea/Iran (for now)... Rhetoric, sanctions, and a whole lot of smoke blowing from both sides.

For the record, my original purpose for posting this was more for the humor of it all, and the wonderful Kinky Friedman comments. I certainly believe there is about a 0% chance of this happening; but for some reason I am intrigued by the concept of it. I do think Oklahoma may well try to jump ship and join them given such a hypothetical situation, though we'd be cutting our own financial throats (as of 2005, we receive $1.36 in spending for every dollar we pay to the Federal government).

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it ever came to secession and a "war," it's be a cold war, a la USSR/North Korea/Iran (for now)... Rhetoric, sanctions, and a whole lot of smoke blowing from both sides.

I certainly believe there is about a 0% chance of this happening; but for some reason I am intrigued by the concept of it.

I'm with ya. For some reason the concept is just interesting. That being said, I think the chances of it happening are greater than the chances of hitting the mega millions jackpot.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there's more chance of Europe coming apart at this time than any state here seceding. But just like Europe many contend our debt chickens will also come home to roost and we'll have to pay the piper.

Irish marchers protest against new property tax

[The current flat rate charge of 100 euros - less than two thirds the cost of a television license - is due to be replaced by a progressive property tax next year that will force some households to pay more than 10 times that amount.

Ireland will hold what will probably be the only popular vote over German-led plans for stricter budget discipline on May 31.]

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/03/31/uk-ireland-protest-idUKBRE82U0AZ20120331

Analysis - Resistance to austerity stirs in southern Europe

[An unexpectedly broad general strike in Spain on Thursday and mounting opposition to Prime Minister Mario Monti in Italy are among indicators that resistance is growing in a region at the centre of concerns about a resurgence of the euro zone debt crisis.]

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/04/01/uk-europe-patience-idUKBRE83004V20120401

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom