• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Oklahoma City Stihl MS 170 chain saw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I put gas and oil in it and pulled it on Choke, pulled the string about 6 times and it burbled like it wanted to start so I took it off of choke and pulled the string 2 more times and it fired right up.

So I waited for a few seconds and while reving it up and seen oil coming off the chain.
Cut just fine.
The other 3 MS170 saws I know of run excellent and 2 of them get used often no issues.

Try not to run them out of fuel.
If it gets low it will act like it's not running right.
Stop right then and check the gas.

The only lube these 2 stroke engines get is in the fuel.
Run it out of fuel and you run it out of precious oil that keeps things from galling and rusting.

Same deal with your outboard 2 stroke boat engines.
Whoever started the trend of pulling the fuel line on an outboard 2 stroke engine to run it out of fuel before storing it needs his brain checked.

When I did a rust test on bare steel left in the weather to rust away the Quicksilver 2 stroke engine oil won the test.
Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil and same brand transmission fluid failed first.

Something to think about.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Tell me how it runs when it gets put to work. Got a brand new one in the shop papers still attached that has never had gas or oil in it. Got it a year ago for a lighter saw but the 15yr old Huskavarna still runs and cuts too good. One of these days I will fire that Stihl up.
Forgot to add this to the above.
Hope you get yours running well.
Keep filters clean on these saws also.
Keep the chain sharp and adjusted and you reduce the fine dust when cutting.
We all know that though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom