Storm Shelters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a Flat Safe for 5 years now and it's galvanized. No flood problems or rusting. I use it more as a pit to work on my cars then I do as a shelter each year. It's great for changing the oil.

The only issue I have with such shelters is that while one might be on high enough ground to not worry about flooding, there is always the possibility of a plumbing break if the house is damaged. I remember hearing of a case where a family was in one of the flat safes and "something" happened that prevented them from being able to unlatch the entry door. If I remember the story right, they had water up to their waists when someone came to check and help them get out.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used Atlas safe room and built it inside the spare bedroom. This is not only a shelter for bad weather, but a panic room and climate controlled storage (closet), not as secure as most gun safes but can be a more secure storage for things inside the house. There are a few companies similar to Atlas, this design uses 2ft sections bolted together and then anchored to the floor, these sections can also be unbolted for emergency exits. Due to this design they can be installed into existing closets or rooms, brought into the house in pieces and assembled on location, they are portable if you decide it needs to go somewhere else too.

Hope you remembered to keep a couple wrenches in there as well! I like the idea of being able to unbolt a section for emergency egress. Our safe room is surrounded on three sides by other rooms, but since the door opens in, it can't be blocked from opening. At the worse, we might have to "dig" our way out through rubble. (I think I'll keep some implements of destruction in there - - - just in case ...Thanks for the "heads up!")

Woody

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We installed the standard sloped front inground as well. Serves as a nice wine cellar. Got it when the state offered a rebate to install them.
My buddy's entire master bedroom is reinforced concrete above ground storm cellar with piers that run into the ground for anchors. He built it when the house was being constructed. Pretty nice.

Wine cellar? Great idea....gives you another reason to hit the shelter. I might have to do that with my Jack Daniels. :drunk5:

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is an F-16, but I doubt it would withstand that... LOL!

iu
That would be an F-15 Eagle.

Maverick1125

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I know there is bad weather coming I just roll my Corvette forward and we have no problem getting in the shelter with the car still in the garage. The car is parked over the shelter

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope you remembered to keep a couple wrenches in there as well! I like the idea of being able to unbolt a section for emergency egress. Our safe room is surrounded on three sides by other rooms, but since the door opens in, it can't be blocked from opening. At the worse, we might have to "dig" our way out through rubble. (I think I'll keep some implements of destruction in there - - - just in case ...Thanks for the "heads up!")

Woody
Yes, I don't know what the other companies do, but Atlas gives you 2 new ratchet wrenches which will stay inside the safe. This safe was planned around a new build so the foundation was poured with thicker reinforced concrete too for another layer of safety, the safe is the closet in this room and was installed after the walls and drywall were put up, it can be removed and the room would have a normal finished closet with doors and all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom