Stripping paint off cabinet doors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I soda blast wood all the time. It works really well. You have to know what you are doing, but it works. I have blasted 200 year old reclaimed barn wood, 100 year old cabinetry, all kinds of stuff.

snipes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to an actual paint store; Kelly Moore, Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams. Get what the pros use, either citrus or gel. Talk to them and follow directions exactly. Then sand, sand, and sand again.
I use a belt sander, but it can do some damage quickly, if you careful.

I've been a painter for 25 years and I get Jasco gel stripper from Kelly Moore.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to own a media blasting business, we blasted everything from cars to brick homes to fire damage. I have done log homes, attics, etc.

They key is to use lower pressure and lots and lots of soda. Baking soda will remove the paint without damaging the wood itself. If you get too aggressive, the grain can get a touch deeper, as the soft wood wears away faster than the hard wood.

I would have to dig for some pics, but I have some. We did a job for a guy in Enid. His builder used some 200 year old wood from a family barn and he stained it the wrong color. We went into the house, taped and masked everything off and blasted the house. Worked out quite nicely. I only sold the business because my compressors kept breaking down and I got sick of it.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out here:

It's only cabinet doors. Is soda blasting a bit overkill? I did 20 or so doors with a palm sander in my driveway in an afternoon. It seriously was only like 2-3 hours. And I didn't use any chemical stripper, which would have meant less sanding if I took that extra step.

I mean, if you have the equipment handy why not? But for a job this comparatively small, it seems like more trouble than it's worth. :anyone:

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't get in the nooks with a palm sander I'll give some strippers a shot , I gotta get the trim replace and cabinets painter prior to the doors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom